cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFTC Connection and ping of 55 to 82 Ms

dai
Grafter

FFTC Connection and ping of 55 to 82 Ms

As per title,  I'm on a FTTC connection and my ping is averaging between 55ms and 82ms! I have tried hopping gateways but to no benefit. Is anyone else suffering these problems, and is there a reason why?
14 REPLIES 14
picbits
Rising Star

Re: FFTC Connection and ping of 55 to 82 Ms

Wired or wireless ?
My ping on speedtest.net via wired is consistently between 5 and 7ms. My ping on speedtest.net via wireless is between 21 and 40ms
dai
Grafter

It's on a wired connection
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Can't see many disconnections on your line there and usage is fine so can't see anything getting in the way. Your line speeds aren't particularly high though, profile is at 21680 at the moment - guessing you're a fair way from the cabinet?
dai
Grafter

Its a long story mate. My line estimate is 49.8Mb. I am around 0.8 miles from the cabinet and I was intially syncing at around 32-33Mb when I first got a FTTC connection. However that just seems to be degrading over time.  I have had numerous engineer visits, and despite some excellent work form one of your colleagues (Chris Petitt) who managed to get a small length of cable replaced, the speed continues to degrade, and now my ping is getting worse. To be honest, with out sounding too rude, im just bored with it all. I see no point in paying £27 for this service when im now only receiving around a third of the speed I was told I can expect on signing up. Im probably going to have to wait untill I cancel, because im far from getting value for money. ( I know you say its paying for the allowance and not the speed) but this wasnt the factor that tempted me change to a FTTC contract. Apologies for the rant, but thats how I feel about it all. im all ears if you or Chris can suggest another way forward, but the whole episode leaves me with nothing but a bitter feeling in my stomach.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wouldn't treat the ping result from either the BT Speedtester or speedtest.net as too reliable as both are too variable with congestion on the testers.
Pingtest.net is much better, and another good check is from a Cmd prompt enter ping ntp.plus.net
dai
Grafter

Thatnk You for the info, I will give them options a try when I get home on Wednesday night. However, it seems too much of a coincidence that the ping quality seems to have degraded around the same time that my conncection speed seems to be getting worse, again.
njay
Grafter

How about the think broadband monitor that quite a number on here including myself have set up?
Or go the whole nine yards and sign up to the samknows  broadband monitoring scheme. Still thinking of doing this myself Smiley
dai
Grafter

I guess both options could be worth a try njay. Im just so despondant with the whole episode.
Anotherone
Champion

Well you aren't the only one suffering, I think BT's backbone network is creaking at the seams at the moment with shortage of capacity. A lot of Providers are getting some issues and some exchanges have significant problems.
dai
Grafter

I know Anotherone, its pathetic that the regulations allow BT to get away with providing, in many cases, a sub-standard network. Even though my home is around 0.8 miles away from the cabinet, there must be a max of 6 houses between me and the cabinet. I know full well how sub-standard the cabling network is, both through my own eyes, and by a number of the openreach engineers who tell me this. Net result? It would not be econonomical to replace the sub-standard cabling according to BT. What frustrates me is that I did happily sync at around 32-33Mb, but it continues to degrade, and I dont hold my breathe for it to get sorted.
Anotherone
Champion

BT's argument for not replacing the cable is flawed. At the end of the day the cost of repeat engineer visits everytime someone has a problem outweighs the cost of cable replacement especially as they will have to replace the cable at some point anyway!
dai
Grafter

I agree entirely Anotherone, but for as long as they are allowed to continue with the way things are under the current regs, then the status quo will remain. Net result is I, as well as numerous others are afflicted with sub-standard services. I will try and get the think broadband monitor set up as soon as I can, Matt Taylor, do you have any further ideas?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately the only way I can think of progressing this is via a fault though given that ping is also an issue perhaps try running some ping tests and traceroutes directly to the servers that it's getting in the way on - if you do play games, then to the servers that you play on mostly. Hopefully that'll show us a bit more about where the slowdowns are.
dai
Grafter

No problem Matt, I get home on Wednesday night so will run a raft of diagnostics then. Will post up what I find. Thanks for your help.