cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEC error surge

jjaycee1
Grafter

FEC error surge

Woudl one of you gurus please assist and give me possible causes of the huge periodic surges in FEC errors as exampled in the attachment. No line noise evident, no electrical appliances or heating, microwave, vacuum cleaner etc operating. Using a BT installed adsl face plate with built in filter.
Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FEC error surge

we need to see the noise margin and speeds as well to get a bit clearer picture
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Were you downloading a very large file at the time or streaming?
jjaycee1
Grafter

!.Oljim.. Noise Margin dropped to 8 from 9.1 and speed is constant at 2624kbps.
2. Yes Anotherone I was in fact (and still am..at my speeds !!) downloading a 3.5GB file
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If your line is downloading at capacity then an increased FEC rate is to be expected
It actually isn't anything to worry about
Can you check the CRC and HEC errors which aren't corrected
Anotherone
Champion

Good luck with your download! It may be in part related to that and you may have a bit of REIN or Cross-talk with that SNRM drop which will probably add a bit to the errors. See how it goes and if the FECs continue to be an issue later.
If you are using the 582n, it doesn't report the uncorrected errors to answer Jim's question.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes it does - from mine
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 36,065 / 734,893
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 419 / 6,624
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 730 / 107,261
Anotherone
Champion

I read your comment as meaning "uncorrected" errors as we'd find with RS errors for example. Really the words "which aren't corrected" are what was confusing.
In which case, I would have thought it would just be a lot easier to post the TG582n Full DSL stats which gives them and a broader overview of things as we have the Uptime as well.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

All I asked for was the CRC and HEC numbers which are explained  here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm - why that required your post is beyond me
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Oldjim

Maybe I just read it too fast whilst trying to be helpful to jjaycee1 having already written my post apart from the last line. I'd already explained in reply #7 why I found it confusing. I find your link to kitz patronising as I'm very familiar with it as you well know.
So the reason for your last reply is beyond me - may it's just another of your digs at me which you seem to enjoy whenever you get the opportunity. I'll leave this thread to you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I stated

To which you replied
If you are using the 582n, it doesn't report the uncorrected errors to answer Jim's question.

To which I replied that it did
As you are familiar with CRC and HEC which are  errors where the package has to be resent because the errors are not corrected unlike FEC which doesn't require resending then I don't understand why you posted what you did unless you were having a go at me
This isn't helping the poster
Endof
Anotherone
Champion

Yet again you jumped to the wrong conclusion. I told you clearly I got confused & misunderstood it probably because I read it too quickly so as to make my post and go and deal with something else.