Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO James et all

ClaretMatt
Grafter

FAO James et all

Hi James/Whoever reads this first.
I has a line fault on my line just after connection to Plusnet which has given me a target SNR of 15db.  Could you see if BT would be prepared to lower it again in view that my line errors are low and the connection is stable once again since the fault has been addressed?
Many thanks
Matt
59 REPLIES 59
James
Grafter

Re: FAO James et all

Hi Matt,
If you raise a ticket regarding this, our faults team can pick it up.
I can intervene if you experience any 'difficulties' Smiley
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Just out of interest, how does the IPStream Max system automatically take care of target SNRM (ie reduce it) if the connection remains stable over a long period of time? Is it adjusted via the DSLAM at intervals (and if so how often)?
ClaretMatt
Grafter

I believe the SNR target is reviewed every 28 days, the IP profile every 3.  I'm getting a stable 7000-ishk sync now for 5 days at SNR of 15db.  If I could just get down to 9db or so I think I could sync at max rate with IP profile to follow nicely Cheesy
James
Grafter

Yep - That's about right.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: ClaretMatt
I believe the SNR target is reviewed every 28 days, the IP profile every 3.   I'm getting a stable 7000-ishk sync now for 5 days at SNR of 15db.  If I could just get down to 9db or so I think I could sync at max rate with IP profile to follow nicely Cheesy

If the line stays totally stable for at least a month or so, and assuming the target SNRM is reviewed to a more favourable value by the system because of that, will it automatically force a resync to achieve the new SNRM value or will it wait to be applied until the next "accidental" resync?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When it happened to me the system forced a resync
ClaretMatt
Grafter

Joy of joys, the old fault has reared it's ugly head again.  This time I know it's the line/BT's equipment.  I've had my router plugged into the test socket for 6 days now and done without home phone.  Previously tried different routers and filters with same result.  Stable 99% of the time and then at random, a crippling low sync event which butchers my IP profile down to 500 or less.  The longest I've had a stable connection for is three days.
I'm paying for 8mb speed, I have a cable run of 1.6km with a nice quiet line and right now I'm sync'd at almost 7k.  That's with a SNR of 15db still.  My IP profile shows 500kb.  Despicable.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

'm paying for 8mb speed
  you are not that is a misconception a lot make, you are paying for an up to 8mb, depending on what BT will let you have
ClaretMatt
Grafter

I expect more than 500k from a line of my quality and length.  I know what it's capable of because quite frankly it was much better with Sky.  These problems only started when I moved to Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Matt - Apologies if it's been covered already, but have you managed to try testing with a different router?
I'm concerned that you're still seeing connection drops, which is likely to be the cause of your poor throughput.
ClaretMatt
Grafter

Quote from: ClaretMatt
Joy of joys, the old fault has reared it's ugly head again.  This time I know it's the line/BT's equipment.  I've had my router plugged into the test socket for 6 days now and done without home phone.  Previously tried different routers and filters with same result.  Stable 99% of the time and then at random, a crippling low sync event which butchers my IP profile down to 500 or less.  The longest I've had a stable connection for is three days.

Yep  Three different routers.
I managed to catch the router in the act today:
James
Grafter

Hi Matt,
You've probably seen the update to your ticket, but just to let you know, I've raised your fault to BT.
ClaretMatt
Grafter

Have you ever seen them fix this type of fault before?  To be honest I'm not very hopeful
James
Grafter

Think of it as a dropping connection.  That's a common fault type.
It's also likely to be the reason for your throughput issues.