Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F9/plusnet unlimated to plusnet premium speeds & traffic shaping

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: F9/plusnet unlimated to plusnet premium speeds & traffic shaping

An upstream output power of 12.5dBm is normal. The line needs less power to drive the lower upstream frequencies and your DMT images show bit loading on those is solid.
Since a fault investigation is in progress I don't think changing the interleaving state would be wise. They might not do it anyway, but if they did effectively it means starting again.
David
Force9Original
Grafter

Thanks spraxyt  on explaining the upstream power rating.
Will it go up if then, if  the Higher upstream frequencies get sorted?
Just started running another  DMT log,  & its flashing negative SNR Margin from time to time..?? Could that just be a router data error?
Been DSL connected for over 36hours.
Uptime: 1 day, 12:44:57
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 759 / 6.654
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 78,90 / 389,85
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22,0 / 40,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8,0 / 5,0
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The green section (lower frequencies) on the SNR plot is upstream and the blue section (higher frequencies) downstream. Some rounding of the upstream plot (less pointy) would probably accompany increased upload speed though I doubt the upstream output power would change much to drive that. Since the upstream noise margin is a couple of dBs above the target it is likely that re-syncing now might result in a higher upload sync. However the downstream noise margin is below the target so re-syncing would reduce downstream sync speed - not something you want to happen.
I think the experience of others is that leaving the connection alone can be best - give the DLM chance to sort things out. It has been reported that 3 days (or sometimes longer) of continuous connection can persuade the DLM to change things - perhaps remove banding if it has you on such a profile. It was suspected that re-syncing restarted the DLM's data-gathering clock since its current data becomes inapplicable.
In your case I feel there could be a higher-frequency problem with your line that I hope the Plusnet faults team will be able to detect and raise with BT. The request for BT speedtester results might be preparation for such referral.
David
Force9Original
Grafter

Thats one of the annoying parts. I tried not to over do the resyn .  Both routers ran steady for days then I get a drop out normally between 6 & 9am just as I'm coming upto 70hours or so the profile doesn't change. Sad
What could cause the Higher-frequency problem ?Huh
Could something like a lighting strike cause these kind of problems ?
There was one a years ago that knocked out the whole area  after a house a few doors up had a direct strike that traveled to the rest of the houses via the phone lines. Everything worked once BT finished working outside ,but maybe there was some hidden issues left over from the strike.......?
Thanks again
I appreciate the time you've taken with this.
f9o
Force9Original
Grafter

Profile back to 5500kbps
BTSpeedtest
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5348 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6653 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1062 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps

f9o Smiley
(Ticket  ID: 32307358 if it helps)
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The re-sync has pushed your upstream sync speed up a bit, filling in the right-hand side of the green band so that the upper part is more rounded  (previously is was almost straight).
However since the downstream sync speed is still the same it looks like you could be on the 3328-6656kbps banded profile. Even so my impression remains that there could be a higher-frequency fault on your line. If this is the case hopefully the faults team tests will identify it.
David
Force9Original
Grafter

So the line is using ADSL2 frequencies rather than the full ADSL2+ range ?
Is their anything  that could cause this such as a faultly NTE5 plate or is it more of an external BT line issue.?
At the moment I have the drop line going into the Master with the NTE5 with the RJ11 going into the router, then RJ45  into the PC.
Thanks Smiley
f9o
(Ticket  ID: 32307358 if it helps)

Force9Original
Grafter

Unusual mid afternoon drop out which has changed the Upstream figure down to 551kbps
Hmm I wonder phone ring caused this again
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi f9o,
I've had a look at the line and you are on a banded profile, however it's the 4Mb - 9Mb band which you're slap bang in the middle of. I suspect if you used to sync at around the 9Mb mark that it'd be worth trying new filters or possibly a filtered faceplate - it's usually noise on the line that causes slower sync speed, though if you've changed routers it might be worth swapping back to see if you get a higher rate with the older one?
Force9Original
Grafter

I tried both routers and its still between 6400 & 6600. (They do give different line stats.  Trendchip gives 37 or 38 downstream line attenuation & the broadcom 40.5.)
I've also tried putting the RJ11 directly into  the test socket behind the NTE5 ( with very thing else disconnected) the other day which messed the Line profile as it sync at  a low 5999 on the trendchip and 6011 on the broadcom.
The highest ever recored line sync is 7100 drownstream on the trendchip a few weeks ago now)
Never anything like 9000kbps. The past few days its seems stuck at max of  6654kbps
Thanks Matt for taking a look  as well Smiley
f9o
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Both ADSL1 and ADSL2 use frequencies up to 1104kHz, ADSL2+ uses up to 2208kHz. Your plots show ADSL2+ tones above 1104kHz are being used, but their contribution falls away rapidly.
There are large dips in the bit loading around 650kHz, 900kHz and 1200kHz. Possibly these are due to RF interference - are you close to any radio transmitters? Or possibly from a local workshop - though those tend to be 'daytime' problems.
The maximum bit-loading values shown by the upstream bit loading (green) plot following re-sync are much reduced from before I assume because noise levels at lower frequencies were high at the time. If you can tie that down to phone calls, it's a good result because your line provider will have to fix that. The upstream noise margin when you generated the DMT image was back to a high value suggesting the noise source had disappeared by then.
David
Force9Original
Grafter

Keeping logs of disconnects so to try and find a pattern. Didn't know BT would have to  fix the  problem. Smiley
No radio  transmitters or workshops. My first though was the electric underfloor heating being picked up by the ring wire. However   heating timer is set differently to the peak morning drop out & its been off while trying to fault  find. ( Ring has been  removed).One  idea is someone on the street might be using one of those high powered "HomePlug " PowerLine Ethernet Adapters which area known to create noise issues further down lines than intended.
Another straw to cluch at, could  BT  have put the -49 volt  drop lead  in the A socket instead of the B on the master, which  can affect  sync rates?
Hopefully PN will pick up something on their test....
Thanks f9o Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Anything that is electrically powered can generate RF noise, including power supplies themselves - even router power-bricks. No keep-fit enthusiast neighbours who enjoy a run on a treadmill in the early morning?
Sorry, can't remember if this has been covered earlier. Have you tried a quiet line test using a corded phone? Dial 17070 and select Option 2; it should be quiet.
David
Force9Original
Grafter

I'll try it again on the phone test.. Smiley
Does it have to be in the test socket on the master behind the NTE5 or can it go directly into into the NTE 5?
Current Line stats
Still right on that banded 6654kbps level & lack of higher -frequencies.....
Could it be that the banded profile  Plusnet (4mb-9mb ) is showing  is incorrect ??
BT Speedtest
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5335 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6653 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1055 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
(Ticket  ID: 32307358 if it helps)
spraxyt
Resting Legend

For quiet line testing plugging the phone into the filtered faceplate is fine, no noise there should mean there wouldn't be any in the test socket. Obviously if there is noise testing using a filter in the test socket is necessary to isolate your internal wiring.
As far as being on a different profile from what the line check says, I guess it's possible, on several occasions evidence has been posted showing the BT speedtester told users their IP Profile was one value but Plusnet line tests gave a different one. Indications were that the speedtester showed the 'active' one. In your case your router is obviously showing your active sync speed but always coming up with the same value in the middle of a range does stretch credulity a bit.
David