Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremly slow connection speed.

Oliverst14
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Extremly slow connection speed.

Hello all

I have been on holiday for 2 weeks and when we got home if tried using the internet and it was not streaming movies. I carried out a speed test and the speed was on 1.2 mbps where before we ranged from 12 - 17 mbps. I waited on the the phone to plusnet for 1.30hrs this evening and then the phone cut off at around 10pm which is disgusting and I really don't want to have to wait again that long. Online help is not working so does anyone know of a way to test why the slow speed or get in touch with plusnet and complain

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Extremly slow connection speed.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hey,

I've just taken a look at your line, and from what I can see,everything *appears* as it should. Here are some of your line stats:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 13.8 26.1
SNR Margin: 16.5 4.5
Errored Seconds: 0 5
HEC Errors: 0 0
Speed: 888 16639
Current BRAS Profile (CVLAN Rate):

Your profile set in our systems appears to be set correctly too. Can you visit http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and carry out a Speed Test and ensure you click the 'Further Diagnostics' option and run the thorough tests so that we can see the results?

Oliverst14
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, I did the test through bt previously however carried out through wifi next to router. I will carry out the test again using Ethernet connection and see if I get differing my results.

I will post results here
Oliverst14
Dabbler

very strange, i completed the test on wifi again and the speed came up at over 14mbps so i carried out the test again running further diagnositcs and got these results

Oliverst14
Dabbler

i decided to plug in as the speed seemed all over the place and ran the test again on ethernet and only got 9mbps. the line seems extremly unstable. the test was carried out with no ther device connected to the router and the cable connected directly a ethernet to the router. iv ran the test around 10 times and always got vastly differing results from as low as 6.7mbps up to 14.6mbps. this doesnt seem normal every time previously to going away i would get a pretty stable 11-14mbps which is no problem. also the upload speed is extremly slow however this has always been pathtic. is there anything that can be done to speed this up?

maxigadd4

I have just switched to plus net after having used BT and Sky for the last 8 years.  We have received a new router and our broadband is working but the speed is so slow! Now we can't watch programmes on iPlayer on TV, my son can't use Xbox gold to play online, surfing the net is painfully slow too! What happened? We didn't change anything except the router but we may as well not have broadband now since it is SO slow.  What do we do about this please? 

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@maxigadd4 - have you tried using an alternative microfilter? Perhaps the same one you had when you used the Sky set up?

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Oliverst14 - I'd head over to https://faults.plus.net if you haven't already and raise a Fault so we can take a better look.

maxigadd4

Hi yes we have tried using our old one but it made no difference. Thanks.