Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow ADSL Broadband speed

Kikusui
Hooked

Extremely slow ADSL Broadband speed

Hi all,

Over the last ferw days I have been experiencing some very slow download speeds with my Plusnet broadband. As an example it has taken me 21 hours to download the latest Xbox One firmware update, some 3.3gb. The speeds I seem to be getting are posted below. I have plugged my router into the master socket and removed the faceplate to expose the test socket and these are the results I'm gettting. I've also attached a screengrab from my router screen.

I have no idea what could be causing this. I'm using a NEtgear Nighthawk DG7800 router, and up until a few days ago I was getting acceptable speeds. Please could someone from the Plusnet team look into this for me.

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Broadband Speed Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.48

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.87

Ping Latency (ms): 243
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Extremely slow ADSL Broadband speed

Welcome to the forum.

The cause of the slow speed will most probably be due to the SNR being set to 36.7dB. The question has to be why? As you are on ADSL then I believe that Plusnet has the facility to reset this. Hopefully a staffer will come along and do the necessary. It could be just a random glitch but alternatively an indication of an ongoing serious problem with your line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Kikusui

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues and thank you for the username. Checking the connection from this side I can see the automated line management has banded your speed between 576k-1Mbps download as a result of the drops seen on the graph below:

We want to get to the bottom of what's causing the drops and place your speed and signal strength back to normal. In which case, being our testing isn't pointing any cause of the drops out from this side the best step from here would be to rule a few internal things out your side before going down the route of getting an engineer out to investigate further.

looking at the graph above, it seems that the router is either getting turned off or it could be set to lose synchronisation at a certain time a day. Could you please confirm if the router is getting turned off every day as this would be causing the line to get banded.

I would also advise you to contact your telephone service provider as it did not allow me to run a copper line test due to a possible fault on your telephone line. If they have recently fixed a telephone fault, make sure they close the fault for you so we can raise a broadband fault for you from our side once the below checks are done.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL
(By all means skip past any checks on here you may have already done.)

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
Given the frequency of the drops I'd advising leaving it in the test socket for 24-48 hours to see if drops persist.

Let us know how it goes and I've reverted the speed and signal strength back to normal

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Kikusui
Hooked

Hi Beyhive, thanks for responding to me.

I can comfirm that I do turn my router off every night. I have done this for years with no issues .... up until now. Earlier today, I also carried out the tests as highlighted in the link you posted. I've now had to move the router back to it's normal location as it's not practical to keep it plugged into the master socket as it's potentially dangerous and a potential trip hazard for someone who is not very mobile & very unsteady on their feet.

Ealier in the year I did have a new copper line and master socket installed from the telegraph pole into the property as 45+ years of weathering had taken it's toll on the old copper cable. As far as I can see from BT's website that issue has been closed (see screen grab).

As of now, 6:40pm the internet seems to be back upto the sort of speeds I would expect so whatever you have done seems to have cured the problem (I've included screengrabs from my router & BT speed test to illustrate).

I'm one of these people who insists on turning everything off at the mains before I go to bed. Would you suggest leaving the router on, and would I have to leave it on permanently? (Not something I really want to do!)

This below was taken with my PC while operating on wifi.

Download Speed (Mbps): 15.44
                                                                Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.80
Ping                                                                  Latency (ms): 205
Tha
Kikusui
Hooked

Hi Beyhive, this is my second attempt at replying as the system decided my first one was spam! Below is a copy of what I tried to post minus the screengrabs ....

Hi Beyhive, thanks for responding to me.

I can comfirm that I do turn my router off every night. I have done this for years with no issues .... up until now. Earlier today, I also carried out the tests as highlighted in the link you posted. I've now had to move the router back to it's normal location as it's not practical to keep it plugged into the master socket as it's potentially dangerous and a potential trip hazard for someone who is not very mobile & very unsteady on their feet.

Ealier in the year I did have a new copper line and master socket installed from the telegraph pole into the property as 45+ years of weathering had taken it's toll on the old copper cable. As far as I can see from BT's website that issue has been closed (see screen grab).

As of now, 6:40pm the internet seems to be back upto the sort of speeds I would expect so whatever you have done seems to have cured the problem (I've included screengrabs from my router & BT speed test to illustrate).

I'm one of these people who insists on turning everything off at the mains before I go to bed. Would you suggest leaving the router on, and would I have to leave it on permanently? (Not something I really want to do!)

This below was taken with my PC while operating on wifi.

Download Speed (Mbps): 15.44
                                                                Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.80
Ping                                                                  Latency (ms): 205
Kikusui
Hooked

I've attached the screengrabs from the router speed test & the BT site showing the closed ticket to this post instead

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Kikusui 

Yes, we would always advice leaving the router on permanently. Routers can not distinguish the difference between a line drop and a power down - and too many line drops means service degradation.  

This is unavoidable I'm afraid. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR