cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely poor download speeds and latency

Jody

Extremely poor download speeds and latency

For about the past week i have been getting really bad download speeds, I am trying to download a game through steam and getting a maximum of around 50kbps and even dropping to below 1kbps when usually i get about 600kbps+, now on top of this my latency keeps spiking really badly every hour or so anywhere between 40ms and 3000ms. I have tried everything, connecting from a different device, connecting to the router via ethernet, a different phone socket and nothing changes.
I am really starting to get tired of this cause this happens every few weeks and just all of a sudden goes back to normal.
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Extremely poor download speeds and latency

Hi Jody,
Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of your difficulties.  Let's do the basics please - can you post all of the information requested in the speed issues thread at the top of this forum.
Sounds as though you might have an intermittent line fault - is it noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the master socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jody

Hi Townman
Thanks for your reply. I dialed the number you provided and there is no noise, its all clear.
I did the speed test and here is the results:
Download speed: 0.45
Upload speed: 0.33
Ping latency: 76.13
I did a tracert and here is the results, but my latency has been spiking a lot the whole day since monitoring it
Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.70]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    99 ms    99 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
  2    94 ms    99 ms    99 ms  lo0-central10.ptn-ag02.plus.net [195.166.128.191
]
  3    88 ms    82 ms    77 ms  link-b-central10.ptn-gw02.plus.net [212.159.2.13
4]
  4    74 ms    69 ms    99 ms  xe-1-2-0.ptw-cr02.plus.net [212.159.0.114]
  5    80 ms    72 ms    76 ms  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.4]
  6  100 ms    99 ms    69 ms  kingston-gw.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.6]
  7    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  8    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  9    69 ms    80 ms    68 ms  ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.109]
10    72 ms    69 ms    80 ms  132.185.255.149
11    68 ms    76 ms    79 ms  bbc-vip115.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.70]
Trace complete.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jody,
May be you looked in a different place to the one I intended you to look at, as there is no request for a trace route.  Please can you gather the information requested here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Please copy and paste all of the information, not transcribe it.  We need the full router stats and the additional diagnostic data from the BT wholesale speed test.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jody

DSL Connection 
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 3:08:09

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6.176

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 70,91 / 681,13

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 17,9

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 13,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 14,9

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 60 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 1.507.434

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 66

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 66 / 146

The results of the bt speed test are the same as posted before but when I try run further diagnostics i get this error message ''Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information. ''
Current line speed:
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
0.5 Mb

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am guessing a bit here
You seem to be on 20CN - what does this say about 21CN http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
If so then your IP profile may take a couple of days to catch up
However at present - from the information you have posted the Plusnet profile is restricting you
I suggest phoning in and ask them to check for an IP profile / Plusnet profile mismatch
You could try putting your phone number in here and see if that has more success in getting the IP profile https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jody,
Thank you for this information.  Something is vey much not right here!
You are on ADSL (1) which might imply you only have 20CN on your exchange - please check here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
From the figures posted, you look like you are less than half a mile from the exchange and should be able to get 8128kbps on fast path.  Interleaving is turned on (FEC counts non-zero).  You are seeing one error second every 3 minutes, which is not brilliant.
The synch speed looks like it might be banded.  The failure of the BT wholesale speed test is disconcerting and the PlusNET speed profile is way off and is at the moment the reason your speed tests are so slow.  The key questions are...
Why is the synch speed so low?
Does the failure of the BT wholesale test have any a bearing on the PN profile not being updated?
These will required assistance from PlusNET to progress - they are not on the forums over the weekend.

Some questions for you...
Is there any noise on the line?  Dial 17070 option 2.  If there is noise, then this needs to be reported to your phone provider.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?  If not please do so and re-report the stats.
Are there any extensions?  If yes, then (if there are any) remove the lower half of the master socket faceplate and plug the router / filter into the exposed (test) socket.
Try a different filter
The above will eliminate likely causes within your control.  Then raise a fault report here http://faults.plus.net

Jody

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late reply.
I have had a look on  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges it says I am on 20CN VP has green status.
Now I know that my internet is not the best as I do live out in the country side, but on most days i never have a problem with latency issues or download speeds except for the odd occasion.
One thing i forgot to do earlier was to plug my router into the test socket and run a test and it seems to better (silly me), btspeedtest got 5.82mbps. So it seems that there is a problem with my socket
s
DSL Connection 
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:17:07

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.648

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 11,16 / 381,22

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 17,9

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29,0 / 15,3

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jody,
I am not sure of the currency of the user tools exchange checker, can you please check out the link I gave you - confirm distance from the exchange and service availability.
The improvement at the master socket points to an issue with your internal wiring.  Please follow the instructions in the speed test issue thread to identify your master socket.  Can you please describe your extension wiring - exactly how / what / colours of wires and which pins are connected on each socket - you will need to remove the face plates.
If the master socket is a NTE5 can you please remove the lower face plate and obtain the stats when the router is connected there.
Have you tried a different filter?
Have you done the quiet line test?

Jody

Hi Townman
Exchange Information
Exchange: Linton On Ouse BT Code: MYLIN
Distance:- Direct: 2.11 km
(appx)* By Road: 2.3 km
Status
ADSL enabled: September 8, 2004
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available
21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A
FTTC Available in some areas
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access† Market 1
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band E

BT Line Speed Estimation
Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)
DSL Max:  8000 kbps (8 Mb)
21CN WBC : Not Available
The master socket wiring:
Number 2 - 3 blue wires
Number 3 - 3 red wires
Number 4 - 3 white/orange wires
Number 5 - 3 white/blue wires
There are 2 white/green wires that are not connected to any pins

screen shot windows

upload images free
I have tried a different filter and i get the same results.
I have done the quiet line test and everything is fine no noise.
Stats when connected to master socket
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:13
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.456
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 16,34 / 166,60
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 17,8
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,0 / 15,2
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 21 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jody,
Thank you for all the information, it explains a great deal.  For obtaining the best possible out of broad band, this is about as bad as it can get.
The router stats data is not consistent with the information from the line checker.  It suggests a line length of 2.3km which would deliver a line attenuation of 33dB and 7.6Mbps, which is more consistent with what you are seeing.  This might suggest a router problem (at least one which is misreporting the line attenuation) - do you have access to another one?
The last set of stats, was that at the master socket with the faceplate plugged in?  They are a bit lower than those in the test socket, but better than the original stats, which I take to be at one of the extension sockets?  The objective now is to get as much as you see in the test socket delivered to your preferred location for the router, if the router cannot be located at the master socket.
The internal,wiring is far from ideal for broadband.  First it is star wired (all from a common point), rather than daisy chained (from one to the next to the next).  Secondly the bell wire and others are connected.
How many other sockets are there?  If it's is more than 3 can you please check them to see if they have just one wire going into them.
You only need pins 2 & 5 connected.  You can disconnect the rest and twist out of the way.  That might be enough to get a better speed delivered to the preferred location.  If not doing better is going to be a bit of a fiddle!
Kevin