Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely low broadband speed!

FIXED
RWadher_20
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Extremely low broadband speed!

I have noticed a considerable drop off in my ADSL broadband speeds that have made the WiFi pretty much unusable. I have attached screenshots of speedtests that show a significant slow down to speeds less than 0.1mbps! Weirdly enough, playing videos on YouTube seems to work absolutely fine with almost no time taken to buffer videos. However, accessing Google pages, browsing social media, emails etc are now unusable.

I had this problem earlier this month and as result I changed the WiFi channel which initially made a noticeable change but now the speeds are extremely slow. I have attempted another channel change but to no avail. I am paying for at least 1-3 Mbps so this is highly frustrating to not receive this continuously.

Could my line be reset or looked at further as I feel I have exhausted all options here!?

Thanks
Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Extremely low broadband speed!

Thanks for getting in touch @RWadher_20.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your connection.

We've tested your line and we can see that there are a high number of errors on the line which won't be helping matters.

Can you try connecting to the test socket as explained here to see if it improves things?

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RWadher_20
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
Our phone line socket is quite an old socket fitting and so it is impossible to run any sort of test because I can't remove the front plate. The line feeds into a ADSL microfilter. I have checked the phone and there is a tone if that helps.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Thanks for getting back to us.

I can't see any faults on the line - our tests haven't picked up anything but that doesn't mean there is anything.

I can see you have advised the issue is mainly via WiFi, if you could download a WiFi analyser app from the play/apple store, it should let you know which channels are best in your area. It's more trial and error with changing channels.

Thanks.

RWadher_20
Grafter

I have already tried this solution before but have had no luck so far. I guess I can try all the channels and see what comes of that. I will inform if there is any improvement or no change.
RWadher_20
Grafter

As I expected, no change... It is as if my speeds are being capped which I can't understand why!? They were fine last month but now it's totally unusable.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@RWadher_20,

Thanks for getting back to us. We're back to those large errors on the line, as you don't have a faceplate to remove this test can't be performed so I've raised a fault on the line for you. Can you update the ticket with some engineer availability and we'll get this arranged for you. Engineers can be booked Mon-Fri in an AM slot (8am - 1pm) or a PM slot (1pm - 6pm). Before we book an engineer can you please make sure, if you have any installed, that any extension cables are removed from the equation so we retest this way too.

RWadher_20
Grafter

Thanks for raising the fault. Can an engineer come anytime between the quoted slots and do they need access to my property?
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @RWadher_20,

No worries, that is all correct - we'll need you to comment on that ticket with 3 slots you can be in the property for. Once you've replied just give us a nudge on here and we'll get that arranged.

Thanks.

RWadher_20
Grafter

Have now commented on the ticket with my availability.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi there,

Thanks for responding to the ticket - unfortunately, you're responded with only part of the PM slot.

Just to confirm Maddy's response, we would need you to be available for the entirety of either the AM slot (8am-1pm) or the PM slot (1pm to 6pm) - we're unable to request or guarantee that an engineer would attend during only part of these slots (for example, between 4:30pm-6pm).

Could you please revisit your availability on the ticket and provide THREE timeslots/dates when you are available in case we're unable to book in your first choice?

Appreciated

Dave

RWadher_20
Grafter

Have no replied with 3 definite slots and one extra in case they are l not possible. Unfortunately the dates are a couple of weeks away so will have to persist until then.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @RWadher_20 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing a high number of errors on your line causing extremely slow speeds.

I've just booked the engineer appointment in now and confirmed this with you via your fault ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=193560296 sending an email and text message out.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any further assistance in the meantime.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RWadher_20
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf, will update if anything changes!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sounds good! Hopefully things improve by themselves over the next week

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet