cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely frustrating experience

thesheep
Grafter

Extremely frustrating experience

My broadband is constantly getting snarled up. It runs OK for about 15 minutes or so, then slows right down, so that it takes a minute to open a web page, or just hangs. Been like this for about a week I think.
I ran a BT speed test and got the following results:
Your DSL connection rate: 640 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 96 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 529 kbps
I am paying for the top-rated option 3 8 Meg package, which should give me 8000 kbps. I'd be happy with half that.
When I report this by submitting a ticket, they just say I have to run 3 speed tests, between midnight and 7am, before they will even look at the problem. So I have to stay up half the night doing this. With broadband faults, they make it that you have to put in so much effort and legwork before anyone will do anything, that it's extremely tiresome.
The condition of my exchange has been 'red' for the past 4 months. No-one seems to take responsibility for this, and PlusNet just blame it on BT. OK, so it is BT's responsibility. I get that. But there is no way provided for me to complain to them. The situation seems to be that no-one is accountable.
Very grumpy  Sad
109 REPLIES 109
ddunford
Grafter

Re: Extremely frustrating experience

Hi TheSheep,
Sorry to hear you are having speed problems with your line, the fact an agent has asked you for 3 speed tests is that BT will not accept any speed fault from us, until you have tested your line under these conditions to ensure nothing else could be effecting your speed. If you can provide these speed results to us on the ticket you have raised, then we can raise BT a fault where they can look into your exchange issues.
If you wish to complain to BT directly then you could always check www.btwholesale.com for contact details.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Thanks for your time just now.
As I mentioned, I can see that your connection is dropping heavily and that will be the reason for your speed being poor.  If you could try some of those checks that I suggested, I'd be very grateful and we'll be able to pick things up from there.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: thesheep
I am paying for the top-rated option 3 8 Meg package, which should give me 8000 kbps. I'd be happy with half that.

I'd be delighted with half that too. However it's not an 8 Mb/s service, it's an "up to 8 Mb/s" service. I get about 1.6 to 1.7 Mb/s when everything is working well.
Not that I'm saying you don't have a problem, from what you say something is very wrong with your connection.
thesheep
Grafter

James - thanks for contacting me. It seems to be more effective to post in the forum than starting a ticket.
I've plugged directly into the master socket and am using a different filter now. So I'll see how it goes over the next day or two.
thesheep
Grafter

OK, I'm still getting dropped connections. I've noticed 4 episodes this afternoon: all connections stop for a while, as before. Then come back again after a while.
I've used 3 different computers, a different filter and plugging directly into the BT master socket. I usually use Wi-fi for all our computers, but I have tried plugging in directly with a network cable as well.
I haven't tried a different ADSL modem/router, as I only have one. This is a Netgear DG834 model, and has been very reliable so far. It seems very unlikely to me that this would have an intermittent fault like this, and it seems much more likely to be something with the line. However, of course I can't prove that.
What should the next move be?
James
Grafter

Thanks for that.
Is there anyone you could try borrowing a modem/router from for a few hours?  As unlikely as it might sound, hardware failure is a common reason for service deterioration.
If you can't borrow one, we'll be happy to send you a loan one to test with.  If that doesn't help, we'll raise the fault with BT and it would be very likely that that would lead to an engineer visit.
thesheep
Grafter

All my neighbours seem to have cable broadband... so if you could send one out to me that would be good.
Thanks.
thesheep
Grafter

Actually, I think I've found one to test with now - please hold off on sending for now
James
Grafter

Ah great.  Let me know if you need any more help.
thesheep
Grafter

OK that fell through - sorry. Everyone around here seems to have cable internet! (Maybe they know something I don't about the BT exchange...)
Anyway, so I'm back to needing you to send out a modem please...
James
Grafter

Thanks.
I've asked one of the Faults guys to get one sent out.
Should be with you in 2-3 days.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Dan
.. BT will not accept any speed fault from us ...  then we can raise BT a fault where they can look into your exchange issues.

Afraid Dan has shown his knowledge and ability to read is no better than the CSC staff.
This is not an exchange congestion issue, it is a ADSL synchronisation issue, these are very different beasts.
I am playing the same ticket tennis game with CSC on the same type of problem. I am not making any more referrals just now, will see how my parents TalkTalk connection is when I get them connected in a few weeks time.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I'm sorry to see that the new router didn't help at all.
We've recently got back to you asking for some engineer visit times, could you possibly let us know when you'll be free?
thesheep
Grafter

Engineer is here at the moment. He thought it might be internal wiring in the flats so installed the line directly into my living room, but we had another drop after he did that. So now he thinks it might be something wrong at the exchange.
For the past 3 days the dropping connection seems to have been far less frequent than it was last week. It will run for an hour or more now without dropping. But I notice that the IP profile reduced from 1500k to 1000k over last night, so I guess it is still dropping enough to cause that.
Anyway, so right now I have a DSL connection rate of 7616k (which is great!) and an actual throughput of only 892k (which is terrible) due to the IP profile of 1000k. I guess the challenge is to stop it dropping so that the IP profile can increase again...