cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Speed

rob0594

Extremely Slow Speed

Hi,
I would appreciate it if someone in support could look into why my broadband speed is extremely slow and why I constantly suffer from irregular packet loss. I have two questions open (39615227 and 39535294) of which one has resulted in no answer yet and the other is unsatisfactory (it seems the person who answered did not even read my comments as they have assumed the problem is with my connection when I state it is my speed).
This has occurred since Thursday evening last week (the 3rd) when other posts in this forum stated similar problems yet the service status pages simply state it is fixed when it clearly is not. I have tried rebooting/disconnecting-connecting my router numerous times (as advised in the status updates) and using the test socket, of which neither makes any difference.
I cannot perform BT speed test's as the connection is so slow the page does not load but when I managed to get to the IP Profile step it stated mine was 5500 (this was last Thursday). My router states I am connected with a download speed of around 5000kbps (which has dropped from 6000 odd) and upload of 448kbps. I cannot give you the other figures as I am at work and will have to update later (via my phone as the plusnet site does not load).
The "High Speed Broadband" page states:
Phone exchange:
DRIFFIELD
Estimated line speed:
6Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2010-07-20 09:46:36
Current line speed:
3.5 Mb
Of which the current speed has dropped since Thursday.
There was a major service outage on Thursday at my exchange, but family and friends have not seen their speed change since then as I have.
I have waited this long on the assumption that the service status reports show the problem is being looked at, but the latest simply states I should not be affected which (as of last night) is not the case. Is my issue related to the service status issue or not? I have been a satisfied plusnet customer for roughly a year without incident. This issue is making me rethink my broadband supplier.
UPDATE: having got home, my router can no longer connect in so far as its negotiation states 'LCP is allowed to come up'  without ever connecting. The main router information states I am connected at 4640kbps downstream, 448 up yet I have not been assigned an ip or have any dns or gateway information. The line attenuation states 34db down and 8.5 up and noise margin is 12db down and 26db up. I am plugged into the test socket.
Regards,
Rob