cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme fluctuating max latency 24/7

JTAC

Extreme fluctuating max latency 24/7

Hi everyone,
I am on a Always on broadband xDSL contract with Plusnet since November 2014. I am on a Netgear D6200.
I have been suspicious that my line is somewhat unstable since the start, previously Plusnet has tweaked some things on their end regarding SNR.
It was not until I picked up some FPS gaming that I realised how unstable my connection seemed to be.
This has led me to get a Static IP and track my connection on thinkbroadband.
These are my graphs for the last few days, I have seen the exact same behavior previously for several weeks with with dynamic IPs.

(during 1230 PM to 4 PM a single 1 GB file was uploaded to Wetransfer)

Plusnet reports no issues on their end. I am aware of the multitude of things that can affect latency, incl Windows Network behavior. But I have tried literary hundreds of software settings and tools to improve my latency over 2 months and I am at a loss.
My connection is used for nothing else than sporadic streaming, surfing, gaming and Skype calls. Any activity after 12 PM is a single device surfing or gaming online.
Let me know whatever data I can supply.
Best,
Martin
3 REPLIES 3
Twills
Grafter

Re: Extreme fluctuating max latency 24/7

Hey Martin,
Welcome to the forum. Checking over your line there are a few things to note. The physical line itself is testing fine however the it has an indication that the router is on some form of extension or has 2 (or no) filters in place that is causing additional resistance. if I am correct move your router to the master socket, ensure that any other socket in use in the property also has a micro filter connected and monitor. With the speed you have if someone else is watching HD video or similar (your stats look like this is done frequently) your games will suffer but should run fine if noone else is using the internet at the time (test the theory!) if moving to the master socket etc doesn't resolve or it's already there and my presumptions were wrong go through the faults form here http://faults.plus.net if the advice doesn't resolve the issue it will raise a ticket to our faults team.
Hope that helps
Twills.
JTAC

Thank you and thanks for the swift reply,
I can confirm the router is connected to the Master Socket with one single fresh microfilter (I have used several, this one is paired with the D6200), without any extended cables or other devices. No phones or TV boxes are connected to any other sockets.
I completly understand the limitation of the speed I have. However, as the behavior manifest itself even in late night hours as seemingly random latency spikes (aprox. once per minute) up to several hundred or thousand miliseconds and then back down to 10-40 (pinging google.com and online games) I just can not connect the two fully.
I will try to walk trough the fault system as best I can but since I have to phone and a quite bizzare problem I have a hard time to answer the questions in a satisfactory way. I will give it my best shot!
Twills
Grafter

Ok great, thanks for confirming.
Your upstream is often heavy on sending data which can affect gaming pretty badly, this is often up until midnight but can see no evidence of after midnight. if thats the case go ahead and answer all the fault questions and hope it gets sorted for you.
Twills.