cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Usenet disconnects

SamP
Grafter

External Usenet disconnects

I use an external usenet provider for binary downloads, & I set these up to run during overnight.
I've been trying to download one package since the 29th of July & still haven't succeeded, because the link to the usenet server frequently drops out for several minutes at a time. 
This causes my Usenet Client (Grabit) to flag up 'Connection Timeout' and the download stalls.
I have checked, and my web browser works without problems during these drop outs - so it only seems to affect usenet, not web access.
My Usenet provider (Newshosting) has not reported any defects at their end.
I've checked on the 'Service Status' page and cannot find anything there which relates to this problem.
Is this situation going to improve?
2 REPLIES 2
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: External Usenet disconnects

Hi,
Is it only this particular file that's failing? Have you tried downloading anything else? Could be that this file is missing or corrupt on the news providers servers. The way that usenet works is that some files will on occassion be incomplete (which is why a lot of posts come with PAR2 files so they can be fixed). If it's just timing out then Grabit should be able to just continue from where it left off.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
SamP
Grafter

Re: External Usenet disconnects

No, it's a whole series of files supported by PARs in the usual way. 
The link to the Usenet server just drops out and stays out for 10, 20, 30 or more minutes.
When the link drops, my Usenet Client makes several attempts to re-access that file, then marks it as 'connection timed out' & moves on to the next file - repeats the above until it has tried all the outstanding files - there could be well over a hundred of them.
When I next check on progress, I thus find it's stalled, so I get it to re-try the files, it re-commences downloading... then after a few minutes the connection drops again....
I've been using this Usenet Client for well over a year without problems - my current - ongoing problem is entirely due to this loss of NNTP connection.
The problem first occurred on 29th July & is making it effectively impossible to use my paid for Usenet server.