Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External IP DNS resolution and account woes

Simon
Grafter

External IP DNS resolution and account woes

Dear All,

As it appears no longer possible to raise a ticket in My Account and was not able to resolve the issue over the phone i must wash in public...

The account in question (for arguments sake "managerhouse") is a residential account for the manager's house for an hotel. We have three other accounts (which are business) with PlusNet for the hotel.

Problem 1: Normally I remotely manage the routers using [username].plus.com however in this case managerhouse.plus.com does not resolve. My personal account, also residential, does resolve thusly. Apparently this is beyond the scope of the residential support team, who can't progress the issue due to Problem 2 below.

Problem 2: As is often the case in the hotel business, staff move on. In this case the mananger has changed but as my name is not one the list as a "responsible person" for "GDPR reasons" I cannot ask for any changes or phone in and raise an issue. I am the person responsible for IT at the hotel and can log on to the managerhouse account. I cannot be added as a "responsible person" because they need to speak the the name on the account.. who isn't there any longer!.. Catch 22..  Support suggested dropping the account and creating a new business account, which I'd rather not do.. We have been PlusNet customers since about 2002.

Please can someone from PlusNet staff take the relavent details and look into both problems?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: External IP DNS resolution and account woes

In regard to Problem 1 , does your account have a static ip by any chance ? If so, and the managerhouse doesnt, then probably the quickest way is to get a static ip.

Well need a PN staffer to progress Problem 2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Simon
Grafter

Hello W,

No managerhouse doesn't have a static IP (and can't have one due to the account type (old)...).
It was something I'd considered but need that confirming by a PN staffer here (.. on phone.. "Can't say due to GDPR reasons" ... ARGHH!)

Thanks..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I didnt think there was a restriction on what accounts could have a static ip, but I might be wrong. Most residential accounts will need to pay the one-off £5 charge.

If static isn't an option then look at using a Dynamic dns service. You'll need access to the router the first time to configure it for ddns but after that you should be able to do it remotely.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Simon, could you PM me the account username so I can look into this for you? 

Although problem 2 is likely going to be a bit difficult if there's no way you'd be able to track down whoever set up the account in the first instance and the best way to tackle that is by opening a business account transferring the services across. 

I'm happy to arrange a call back from our business sales team if this is something you'd want to go ahead with, alternatively feel free to create a business account Here and PM me the username and I'll be happy to organise the transfer.

[edit]

It's probably worth noting that any services used to run or support a business should ideally be on a business account. If this account has always been used for this it's possible that we didn't offer business services in 2002.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'