Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend wifi with second TG585

emelcee
Dabbler

Extend wifi with second TG585

Hi,
Can I use a spare TG585v7 (along with existing 585v8) as a second access point to improve wifi range in my cat5 cabled house?
I just bought a Medion Lifetab but cannot get wifi reception in the lounge where I want to use it (even though visitors' iPads, iPhones etc seem to work OK).
I would really appreciate any comments on the below plan developed after considerable research, but with my limited tech knowledge:
1. Factory reset slave (585v7)
2. Temp. replace master with slave and go to config screen to ensure network name (PlusnetWireless696700) and security type (WPA+WPA2) are synchronised to master. I also need to set fixed IP address to, say, 192.168.1.253 (master being 254) and to disable DHCP on slave but I'm not sure where to do these 2 things?
3. Wait for re-boot of slave after changing fixed IP.
4. Re-install master 585.
5. Plug slave into cat5 socket in lounge and test.
Will it work?
emelcee    Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Extend wifi with second TG585

What you propose sounds ok.
192.168.1.253 might be reserved by TG585 v8 so use something else (192.168.1.252?) on the slave TG585 v7.
Don't forget to set the wifi channel number. Choose from 1, 6 or 11. The master and slave should use different channel numbers.
Using same wireless name on both boxes should work in theory.  Give it a try. But don't be surprised if you come across weird issues.
eg. I have witnessed problems (not using TG routers) where devices can't get a DHCP IP and/or can't get internet access after a few days of operation until router is rebooted.  The workaround was simply to use different wireless network names on both boxes to fix the problem.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

192.168.1.253 is used by the content sharing for any attached usb disk, so as zZz suggests used a different IP address preferably one outside the dhcp pool. Other than that, your plan looks good.
This may help:
http://npr.me.uk/together.html
emelcee
Dabbler

Many thanks zZz & npr for your helpful replies.
I followed the plan using 192.168.1.1 as suggested by npr and everything appeared to work fine – but when I plugged the slave in downstairs it didn't work. When I replaced  the master with the slave again in order to trouble-shoot I couldn't get internet access even though all the lights on the router are on. Windows diagnostics came up with “Local Area Connection does not have a valid IP config”. When I open a command prompt and use ipconfig the default gateway is blank. Everything works fine again when the master is back in place.
Two other things that might be relevant:
1. In synchronising the security settings between master and slave was I supposed to set the WPA-PSK Encryption Key on the slave (AB5DD6D277) to the same as the master (0301678C29)? (The WPA-PSK Version on both routers says WPA+WPA2).
2. In Network & Sharing Center with the slave installed [master values in brackets]:
- the network shows as unidentified [PlusnetWireless696700]
-Access shows as local only [local and internet]
-Connections shows 2 entries [only first one shows for master]:
  -Local Area Connection [same for master]
  -Wireless Network Connection (PlusnetWireless696700) [no second item for master]. This shows very good signal strength. When I try to connect to this it says I am already connected.
Any help would be much appreciated as I feel I’m almost there!
emelcee
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

When I replaced  the master with the slave again in order to trouble-shoot I couldn't get internet access even though all the lights on the router are on.
That is to be expected, the slave has DHCP disabled and therefore will not supply an IP address, it needs the master to supply that.
It sounds like the slave isn't connected properly to the master.
5. Plug slave into cat5 socket in lounge and test.
Where is that cat5 socket connected to ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

emelcee
Dabbler

All the active cat5 sockets are connected via a switch to the master router.
Tks, emelcee
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

In that case it should work fine. Does the LAN port led ( for the port connected via Cat5 to the master ) flash on the slave router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Quote from: emelcee

1. In synchronising the security settings between master and slave was I supposed to set the WPA-PSK Encryption Key on the slave (AB5DD6D277) to the same as the master (0301678C29)? (The WPA-PSK Version on both routers says WPA+WPA2).

yes, the security keys must be the same on both boxes when using the same wireless network name PlusnetWireless696700

Try this to see if the master can see the slave via the CAT5 cable.
Connect slave up to master via CAT5 (Perhaps take out your switch temporarily).
Take a laptop/tablet/smartphone and go to your master router's location and confirm you can access the internet.
Staying where you are, now use web browser and try to access the slave router by its IP address 192.168.1.25x to test the CAT5 connection.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
emelcee
Dabbler

All is solved – I think!
By fiddling in Settings for the tablet I managed to get it working when in range of the slave, and, by synchronising the WPA-PSK Encryption Keys I get a seamless transfer from master to slave and vice versa – it seems to take about 45secs to do this. The laptop works both wirelessly and when Ethernet plugged into the rear of the slave.
A massive thank you for all the help.
emelcee