Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Status

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Exchange Status

The law of sod has struck yet again!
I was hoping to begin gathering some router stats using the loan router that Plusnet have sent.
Now my exchange (Cheltenham) is showing red, with an estimated fix date of 19th August. Apart from the fix date, there doesn't appear to be any more information available, but I'm hoping that whatever the problem is it will cure the intermittent fault on my connection.
I signed up for Home Phone earlier this week with an activation date of 19th August. Is this a coincidence?
Edited @ 13:23
Read up a bit more, seems to suggest a capacity problem rather than a fault, so would I be right in assuming it shouldn't affect sync speed or noise margin, just throughput?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Exchange Status

Since your exchange has only just gone into "red" status don't be surprised if come the fix date all that happens is that a new "fix date" is assigned.
However, your interpretation of the effect of "red" status is correct - only throughput at busy times might be affected, it should have no effect on sync speeds and noise margins.
David
maranello
Pro

Thank you spraxyt for the confirmation.
Just out of interest, is it usual for exchange capacity to suddenly go from green to red? What about amber status? I'm guessing it's nothing to do with a flurry of new connections, but that hardware failure within the exchange means that the capacity has reduced. Will this affect me trying to connect, as well as throughput speed?
Quote from: spraxyt
don't be surprised if come the fix date all that happens is that a new "fix date" is assigned.

Having done a search of the forum I've seen this reported previously.  Thanks for the forewarning not to expect a timely fix.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think exchange status is either green or red, no half measures. Lots of new connections must increase capacity requirements, however I don't imagine hardware failure comes into it. The latter would be a fault needing fixing whereas red status means the network is busier than it is designed to be.
That isn't necessarily as bad as it sounds. Imagine the network consists of a continuous train of wagons trundling past, and anyone needing transport jumps onto the first empty wagon. Assume to avoid delays requires 25% of the wagons to be empty. Then if 26% are free all is well and the train is green; however if only 24% are free capacity is below design and the train is red.  In practise one might not notice much difference, but on the green/red system it looks bad. Of course if only 5% are free it really is bad and capacity needs to be increased urgently.
I don't think the exchange being red affects the ability to connect, it just affects throughput at busy times.
David
jamessealey
Grafter

I am curious to know if anyone can offer an explanation on the status of my exchange, which is currently showing the following info:
Virtual paths: Red
BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.
At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.
The ETA fix time is: 30 Jul 08
Record last updated: 28 Jul 08
Historical information for this exchange:
Status Date
21 Jul 08 
14 Jul 08 
07 Jul 08 
01 Jul 08 
23 Jun 08

Is it possible this has been fixed and no update as been sent? And does anyone know how often an update would be sent or is that in BT's hands?
james
spraxyt
Resting Legend

As noted at the bottom of the status page:
Please note: This checker is not a generic fault tracker. It is updated weekly when updates are available and reflects a snapshot of speed capacity from each exchange. Results shown here should not lead you to conclusive proof of an issue.

I don't think BT have provided an update for any exchange since 28 July 2008. It's possible that capacity at your exchange has been fixed, but sadly also possible it hasn't. The position should be clarified when the next update becomes available.
David
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I currently have a 7000Kbps profile..
During the day the Plusnet speedchecker struggles to reach 2000Kbps
My exchange shows no contention.
There's obviously something a trifle wrong here.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jamessealey
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
As noted at the bottom of the status page:
Please note: This checker is not a generic fault tracker. It is updated weekly when updates are available and reflects a snapshot of speed capacity from each exchange. Results shown here should not lead you to conclusive proof of an issue.

I don't think BT have provided an update for any exchange since 28 July 2008. It's possible that capacity at your exchange has been fixed, but sadly also possible it hasn't. The position should be clarified when the next update becomes available.

Yeah I did see that bit, is there a more direct source this information can come from or is it classed as 'inside industry' info?
maranello
Pro

Apparently fixed for Cheltenham, now showing green ahead of the estimated fix date of 19th August.
Hope you all get similar timely fixes.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Mine (Mill Hill) shows a last update date of 11th August.
The last status shown was Green on 4th August though, which is only a fortnight ago.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jamessealey
Grafter

Quote from: jamessealey
Virtual paths: Red
BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.
At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.
The ETA fix time is: 30 Jul 08
Record last updated: 28 Jul 08
Status Date
21 Jul 08   
14 Jul 08   
07 Jul 08   
01 Jul 08   
23 Jun 08

Joy! It would appear BT have other priorities! Now showing:
The ETA fix time is: 27 Aug 08
Record last updated: 11 Aug 08
Status Date
04 Aug 08 
28 Jul 08 
21 Jul 08 
14 Jul 08 
07 Jul 08
Come on BT! In fairness though I don't seem to have speed issues all the time, just at peak times when http grinds to a halt!