cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated line speed vs. Current line speed

Gorvul
Grafter

Estimated line speed vs. Current line speed

Erm, should I raise a ticket?  I'm very happy with my ping times, which are more important to me than speed, but the internet is noticeably slower for me today.
The problem I've got with the following statement on my High Speed Broadband link is the "(Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) " .  If that read accurate to within 6Mb then maybe I'd be less concerned.

Estimated line speed:
    8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2009-11-19 19:33:30
Current line speed:
    2.5 Mb

I'm very reluctant to raise a ticket, or even to start a thread here, as nearly every time I raise a ticket, my pings get messed up, or I completely lose connection, basically things get worse usually.
Any reason why I'd have my current line speed set low, even though it's estimated much higher?  I think I'm on a  "up to 20 Mb" package
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Estimated line speed vs. Current line speed

They are two different things.
Estimated line speed is what the automatic systems think you sync rate will be - this is notoriously flaky but usually too low
Current line speed is a mirror of the IP profile you can see from the BT speedtest
What are the stats reported by the router - noise margin, attenuation and speeds
Note that when a fault is reported the first thing the BT automated system does is to apply interleaving - hence lousy pings
Gorvul
Grafter

thanks Oldjim - I don't think I'll raise a fault, because I don't want lousy pings Sad

well if my current line speed is 2.5Mb, but my estimated line speed is 8Mb and "accurate to within 1Mb", I imagine that if I were buying broadband, I'd be sold it with the impression that I'd get between 7-9Mb broadband.
I really think this statement should be clearer, as since I've lived here (nearly a year now...) I don't think I've ever had a speed as high as 5Mb, let alone this accurate estimation of 7-9Mb...
I've a problem with the adjective "accurate" here.  It's not accurate.  It's way out!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Gorvul
Grafter

oh right - thanks again OldJim