cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated line speed - how accurate?

rascom
Grafter

Estimated line speed - how accurate?

We've got a customer in Devizes, Wiltshire less than 100metres direct from the Exchange (according to kitz.co.uk) and under 350m by road.
BT estimate they should get a 17mb service now that 20mbps services have become available in the town but they're getting around 7mb.  They spoke to BT who said that they wouldn't guarantee anything above 5mb due to the distance of cable run from the Exchange (!).  How accurate should these line estimates be because I know of people in the same town further away from them who are getting 13mb upwards with PlusNet and my customer have said that if PN can guarantee they'd get better speeds they'll drop BT in favour of PN.
Have just installed a new Netgear DGN1000 router in place of their BT 2-wire jobbie which improved the speed slightly (4.5mb went up to 7mb) but still not the 17mb they were hoping for and it sounds like a bit of a cop-out answer from BT if I'm being honest.
Anyone got any thoughts on whether the line estimated speeds should give an accurate representation - or any idea who we could test better to see if its just BT messing them around in which case PN would get a new customer - and we'd gain another referral 😉
4 REPLIES 4
itsme
Grafter

Re: Estimated line speed - how accurate?

You need stats from the modem to see if they are on adslMAX which is only up to 8mbps or ADSL2 which is up to 8mbps or ADSL2+ which is up to 20mbps
rascom
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
You need stats from the modem to see if they are on adslMAX which is only up to 8mbps or ADSL2 which is up to 8mbps or ADSL2+ which is up to 20mbps

Let me know what info I need and I can get them fairly easily.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

noise margin, speeds and attenuation
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Have just installed a new Netgear DGN1000 router in place of their BT 2-wire jobbie which improved the speed slightly (4.5mb went up to 7mb)

Now that sounds a bit odd! , normally the 2wire 2700HGV that BT supply ( aka BT Business Hub ) synchs faster than most other routers on a given line. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.