Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated Speed lower on 21CN

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Estimated Speed lower on 21CN

Investigating product change options (really just comparing the latest products with my current product) has thrown up an interesting anomoly:
The estimated line speed advised for Value (20CN product?) for my line is 3.5Mb but the estimated line speed for Pro (and Premium) is only 2.5Mb!
It seems that BT's new 'Consistently Fast Broadband' thinks it will be slower on my line.
Why would the product advisor come to such a conclusion?
Is my service really expected to be slower on the latest higher speed products?
Interesting link: 'why is this speed estimate lower' on the higher estimate!
I assume this is a glitch in the advisor, not really the way to promote the latest 'high speed' products!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Estimated Speed lower on 21CN

The PlusNet product you are on is independent of whether you are on 20CN or 21CN. That is a separately requested move (although Value no longer has the option to move to 21CN).
All the line speed estimates are just that, estimates. Why it should be different as both should have come from the same source is a bit strange so you need to raise a ticket and get it investigated.
Note: the estimate speed is for ADSL1 on 20CN.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Estimated Speed lower on 21CN

I'd suggest it's just a temporary issue with the linechecker, looking now it's showing 3.5Mb for both.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
w23
Pro

Thanks Chris,
odd 'glitch' though, apart from recently being on 'banded' profile on 21CN I've usually managed much better than this estimate.
I know other ISPs quite rightly get slated for over-estimating expectations PN seem to underestimate, sometimes by a fair margin - must admit that is better than 'lying' about what customers will get though, still not good marketing though.
I'd love to know where that glitch came from, the linechecker is not doing you many favours if other people see such modest expectations.  I only mention this because I still think PN are above the norm when it comes to ISPs.
-  Alastair.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

Re:Estimated Speed lower on 21CN

Hi Alistair,
We actually use the BT Broadband Availability Checker ("fondly" referred to as BBAC) to ive our customers speed estimates.  It is often on the low side, especially for ADSL2.
w23
Pro

Thanks for the info James.
Call me 'w23'