cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated 40mb?? Actual 78mb?? Still getting slow speeds like BT

SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Estimated 40mb?? Actual 78mb?? Still getting slow speeds like BT

When I first signed up I was told I would get around 70.5mb as that is what my line can handle and that is what I will get, I then got an e-mail a few mins after originally signing up that estimated is 40mb however I rang back in urgently (whilst being placed on hold several times and for around an hour on the phone) I was then told this was an error and I will get the 70.5m.
As I was getting around 57mb from BT (originally I used to get 70mb then it went down to 64mb then now 57mb) I opted to go with PlusNet who I then asked to supply in writing that I will get 70.5mb, which they did only to now see the ticket they had put on my account saying that if it drops by 10% of the 70.5mb they will investigate and sort out the issue...Funny how I cannot seem to find that ticket on my account now although I may still have the e-mail.
Now BT had said due to a lot of customers joining that is why my speed dropped and nearly taken a year to tell me that, however PlusNet were reassuring me that I would not have the same issue with them.
However after doing all the same speedtests again lo and behold exact same speeds as BT *sigh*
Ive already had BT engineers at my property when I was with BT and there are no faults at my side so PlusNet what will you do about this please?
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Estimated 40mb?? Actual 78mb?? Still getting slow speeds like BT

You mean around 57 Mbps? 
What is your IP profile?  As you have been dealing with speed issues for some time, I'm rather surprised you missed that out of your posting.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

IP Profile for your line is - 59.56 Mbps
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The estimate we provide you with at signup is taken from the BT Availability Checker here, does that say 70.5Mbps? We use the same Wholesale network as BT Retail so it stands to reason that your headline speed will be similar. Apologies if this wasn't made clear to you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

I was told at sign up that I WILL get 70.5mb, I was then given it in writing that if I get 10% of the quoted line speed that PlusNet WILL do something about it.
Here I found the ticket and the message:
Thank you for your time on the phone today.
I can confirm that the estimated speed for your fibre connection is 70.5Mbs.
If the speed issue that you are experiencing with BT at the moment is caused by an issue on the BT's realm than the issue will not be rolled onto our network and you should receive the estimaded speed.
If the speed you are recivin is off by more than 10% and we can see that there is an issue with the line or equipment we will be able to investigate the fault.
However there is a 7 days cooling off period after the Broadband gets activated in witch you can test the speed you are acutally receiving, and if it is not an acceptable one you can choose to terminate the contract.
I hope this answers your question and if there is anything else we can help you with please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards,
Calin Lapugean
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: SuperSaiyan4
I was told at sign up that I WILL get 70.5mb, I was then given it in writing that if I get 10% of the quoted line speed that PlusNet WILL do something about it.

That's not what I read  Huh
I can confirm that the estimated speed for your fibre connection is 70.5Mbs.

estimated != will
If the speed issue that you are experiencing with BT at the moment is caused by an issue on the BT's realm than the issue will not be rolled onto our network and you should receive the estimaded speed.

i.e. if the speed problem is not with the circuits common to BT and Plusnet, then .....; also should != shall (nor even "will")
If the speed you are recivin is off by more than 10% and we can see that there is an issue with the line or equipment we will be able to investigate the fault.

i.e. if the speed drop is due to a line/equipment fault, then ...
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Well I am just waiting for PlusNet to do their tests if they come back to me on here? I specifically told them that the speed needs to be greater than what BT are giving me as even BT were unable to sort this out despite their engineers saying that ive got a perfect line and even they are baffled.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
We'll respond to the ticket you've raised, if you need anything chasing up let us know.