Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estiamated connection speed (ADSL ADSL2+) and related download speeds

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Estiamated connection speed (ADSL ADSL2+) and related download speeds

My exchange has an RDS date 31/3/2010. The BT site says my connection is capable of 6500 (actually my latest syncs have been c. 7250, though PN profile is 5500). Average download rate seems to range in the low to mid 4000s.
The forecast connection rate under ADSK2+ is given as 9000. What I am interested to know is whether the average download rate is likely to increase proportionately to the increase in connection speed or would the increase be far less than that, also whether contention has a greater or lesser influence on actual performance under ADSL2+
I await cries of numpty. Crazy Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
16 REPLIES 16
Luzern
Hero

Re: Estiamated connection speed (ADSL ADSL2+) and related download speeds

My OP too naive or too complex to respond to? Undecided
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Patience. Cool
Try posting some stats from your router, inadequate information otherwise.
Luzern
Hero

Are these what are needed?
See attachment.
Edit
Download speed 4930kbps ; Upload speed 375 kbps
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, but the resolution of the image is insufficient for the numbers to be read.
Could you replace the image by a clearer one, or copy the information from the lower box (connection speeds, attenuations, noise magins) into a post ?
Edit: … as you've done with speedtest results alongside my post, but need information from the router lines.
David
Addnan
Grafter

My exchange will be ADSL2+ enabled from September. Can someone tell me what speeds I can be expecting
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7424 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 28.0 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 11.0 db 24 db
Thanks
stallan
Grafter

@addnan - looking at your sync rates and download speeds, I'd focus on sorting those out first before venturing on ADSL2+.
Addnan
Grafter

That's just a one of thing. I usually get around 5.5mb in the morning. In the evening it slows down because of my congested exchange. There is nothing wrong with my line and there is nothing PN can do to improve my speeds.
stallan
Grafter

@Addnan - Well I have a downstream attenuation of 27.5db and currently Syncing at 14998
Luzern
Hero

I hope this is better.
NB  FWIW Noise margin in day was ca. 6dB
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Unfortunately with an attenuation of 45dB the potential benefits from ADSL2+ are small. Entering that into Kitz's calculator shows sync at 5888kbps for ADSL1 and 7200kbps for ADSL2, the higher frequency range required for ADSL2+ might not be sustainable.
You are doing well to get the sync you currently have (7264kbps) on ADSL1, and remain connected down to a Noise Margin of 1dB.
David
Luzern
Hero

So how do Kitz and BT come to such different rates

What I am interested to know is whether the average download rate is likely to increase proportionately to the increase in connection speed or would the increase be far less than that

Do I take from the above that actual speed %age improvements will not be as great as those  for connection speeds?
BTW My Netgear Router has held connection even down to -2dB
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Kitz's figure is based on theoretical performance for average lines, BT's database is based on measured line characteristics, which might be better than average.
For a sync speed of 7264kbps your IP Profile  - shown by the BT Performance Tester (http://www.speedtester.bt.com/) - should be 6000kbps. The PN Profile should match that, though you mentioned in the Opening Post it showed 5500kbps. The speedtest result you posted (4930kbps) is typical for a 5500kbps profile at off-peak times.
If the ADSL2+ forecast 9000kbps is realised your IP Profile would be 8000kbps, and my expectation is that a throughput (actual speed) of 7000kbps should be achievable at off-peak times.
David
Addnan
Grafter

Why is my noise margin so high compared to op?
Luzern
Hero

@ spraxyt
I was getting the high conn speed even when PN was showing my profile 5500 :-\how it could happen. But now its at the  expected 6000.
Thanks for advice.
Fo you think PN will charge more for ADSL2+?