cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic download speed today.

Stantheman
Dabbler

Erratic download speed today.

I have been enjoying my Plusnet unlimited fibre service since installation a week ago.
I have been checking speeds daily and DL has slight fluctuations around 63.91mbps until tonight when my DL speeds have gone haywire, jumping between 7.24 and 24.16. I am unable to achieve my profile download speed. My upload speed has remained constant around 16mbps.
I have not switched off modem or router, nor disconnected since installation.
5 REPLIES 5
Stantheman
Dabbler

Re: Erratic download speed today.

My download speed is still 'all over the place' when measured on the BTW speedtester, averaging 24mbps, however Speedtest.net shows it to be steady around 63mbps.
Can anyone explain why these large discrepancies have suddenly started to occur.
hypnoboy
Grafter

I can sympathise with you stan.
I have had 3 weeks of problems. I managed to get back online yesterday and was stable at 35+ meg.
3am I went to 0.3 back to normal by 9am dropped again at 12pm to the same. Back for 8 hours vanished just gone 8 although router said connected and confirmed by plusnet.
Laptop back up now but iPad and iPhone are on 12 meg and fluctuating. Yet plusnet have no reports of errors on the line apart from 3 and 12 and 8 today but my line appears fine.  Huh
Yet my line apparently drops out at 11pm most nights and no one has a clue why. As a side note that is.
Here's hoping they get it fixed but apparently we just have to sit tight and see. Yet I cannot get the speed back on the iPad and phone which I also use for business.
Ho hum,
Regards
Craig
Stantheman
Dabbler

Hi Craig
You appear to be suffering similar problems to me.
It's early days yet, but I believe I may have discovered the culprit. I have been reading various reports regarding instability of the BT OR Modem when it overheats. Mine was sitting on a flat surface in a corner, so I resited it and raised it above the flat surface to ensure a free airflow around and through the modem vents. This appears to have sorted my speed problems, as today normality is restored (so far).
It may be worth a try.
Kind regards
Stan
hypnoboy
Grafter

Hey stan thanks for that mate.
I'll give it a try. I also notice that all my wireless equipment was set to a dynamic IP address, so I have set them all to static to stop the, changing every 24 hours, so that may be worth a look into as well.
I am just looking into a my net western digital router also, for more stability in wifi.
It appears to be all trial and error when it is not a bt fault. So I am hoping my connection is now fixed and I can troubleshoot the rest.
Thanks for the advice
Craig
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Stan,
I hope all is still OK for you? Let me know if anything changes.