Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic U/S SNRM and resulting DLM interventions

FIXED
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Erratic U/S SNRM and resulting DLM interventions

What's supposed to be disconcerting about them? There were some CRC errors, but they appear to have been concentrated into a relatively small number of error seconds, which doesn't really tell me anything.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK, @ejs maybe I'm reading too much into these errors, but the rise in FEC, CRC & HEC's just made me wonder. Must admit though, since around 0530 this morning, the SNR graph has been steadyish, and apart from a PPP drop/reconnect this morning, nothing has gone horribly wrong. Probably tempting fate saying that, but hey-ho.Smiley

John
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes high FEC is not a problem - thats everything working. You get FEC before Code Violations, and you need huge CV to take the line down.

Has the egineer come you yet? If so did he find any faults?

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @summers - reassured now. Smiley

I had an SFI on Tuesday who found everything my side OK,he found a small problem in the exchange which he rectified, but the problem is not yet sorted.

I am due a further visit next Tuesday, for a full investigation on the areas he didn't cover, and a 'lift & shift' as a last resort - after that, I've no idea where they can go, but I'm still convinced something somewhere is a bit iffy.

John
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jab1,

I'm sorry that this is still ongoing and for the inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems with your connection after Tuesday's visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@Jubby wrote:

Hi @jab1,

I'm sorry to see that the issue persists, after testing the line we are seeing multiple drops the day after the engineer attended.

I have raised an escalation with our suppliers to ensure all quality gates are carried out and stress that a lift and shift is next required. I'm afraid that a further visit is required as the line test has not detected an external fault, you can reply with your availability here.

Once you have replied to the ticket, please reply on here so we can pick it up as soon as possible.

Thank you.

@Jubby Engineer came this afternoon, BUT he was not  aware of the co-op call - which obviously didn't happen. Do OR pass on the required information to their engineers?

He thoroughly tested everything my side - again - and declared everything OK, as I knew he would.

I am not aware what E-side/D-side checks he carried out (if any), but he did do the L&S and spoke to the escalation owner - from the exchange - so I do not know what was said in that conversation.

Once the L&S completed, I had a d/s noise margin of ~6dB, and connection speed of 11909Kbps, but am aware the speed may fluctuate while optimisation is carried out. I will not be happy though if my SNR rockets up to 15dB again.

I will leave my monitoring running 24/7 for the next 4 or 5 days, but to be honest, I don't hold out much hope.

EDIT to add: Engineer also informed me my profile was banded, albeit in quite a wide band (9-14Mb?)

John
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@jab1 - thanks for getting back to us. 

I really hope that the SNR does not rocket back up - please do let us know how this goes. 

EDIT to add: Engineer also informed me my profile was banded, albeit in quite a wide band (9-14Mb?)

Not quite sure what he is on about there if I am totally honest. Your lines Downstream Handback Threshold is only between 5.5 - 7.5 anyway...so even if he had noticed a banging of up to 14 - you wouldn't logically be able to hit the High End anyway. 

Thanks, 

MoR

jab1
Legend

@MasterOfReality I will definitely advise if the SNR jumps again!Wink

I don't know where he got that from, either - he did show me the page, but there was so much data on there, I didn't have time to take it in. No matter - if my speed stays roughly where it is now, I won't be complaining.

John
jab1
Legend

Just checking if anything is happening - I have sync to the exchange, but no broadband connection. I lost BB sometime between 1300 and 1400 yesterday without warning and my broadband light is totally off.

I’m aware that Openreach are supposed to be working on the problem, but I was never told that I would have no connection for over 24 hours. An informative answer would be appreciated.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi John.

Our tests are showing your router is out of sync which matches what you're seeing with your broadband light being off. As our tests aren't showing the cause for this we'll need to arrange another engineer visit to further investigate this I'm afraid. 

I've added a reply to your fault ticket 187479685, if you can reply back with your availability, then post back here to let us know we'll arrange this for you.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Thanks for the reply, @Gandalf. I’m sad to report that my d/s SNR had another jump to 15 around 0650 this morning, and then a drop back to 6 @ 1550, where it is at the moment.

I’ll update the ticket later tomorrow when I’ve checked with a friend as regards a trip we are planning.

Don’t suppose your logs are picking this up?

AngryWink

John
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @jab1,

As the circuit has been out of sync since 27/02/2019 12:56, I'm afraid I can't provide real-time data of the SNR. However, below is a graph of the SNR prior to loss of sync.

No problem, let us know on here once you have updated the ticket and we will pick it up as soon as possible.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
jab1
Legend

Not that it matters now, but I assume the circuit going out of sync was due to the work carried out on the frame?

If so, would it not have been a good idea for the engineer to have checked that everything was OK before signing his work off?

John
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jab1 

That would have been the logical step to take in my mind, yes. 

Unfortunately  we have no remit over what process or workflow  engineers follow once we book them out. 

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards, 

MoR 

jab1
Legend

No problem, MoR - it was a rhetorical question, really Wink

John