Fixes: 254

Re: Erratic U/S SNRM and resulting DLM interventions

@EmilyD Ticket 187479685 was raised this morning.Wink

John
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think it's unlikely that it's the DLM constantly changing the target SNRM. Something's faulty which is causing large changes in speed and SNRM.

jab1
Legend

You could well be right, @ejs - but whatever it is does not appear to be my side of the master socket - might be a tad difficult to trace.

John
jab1
Legend

I think someone is intentionally trying to make me out to be an idiot.Wink

Since raising the fault yesterday, my plots have been as shown below - not steady, but the router has not been disturbed by a re-sync.Huh

NoiseMargin-2019Feb14-1623.jpgNoiseMargin-2019Feb14-1923.jpgNoiseMargin-2019Feb14-2223.jpgNoiseMargin-2019Feb15-0123.jpgNoiseMargin-2019Feb15-0423.jpgNoiseMargin-2019Feb15-0724.jpg

Having said I didn't see anything odd, I notice what looks like a DLM intervention around 17.10,19.49 and 23.20 last night - can  PN see anything in the RADIUS logs around then? I was out for the first two, and in bed for the third.

NOTE to the hekp team: This is exactly why I am reluctant to involve OR - they will come and check, find nothing wrong, and I get landed with a NFF charge.

John
jab1
Legend

Just had a further re-sync at 0845, but the SNR  and connection speed have held.

Anyone got any ideas what the (bleep bleep) is happening?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi John, I've picked up your fault ticket 187479685 and I've added a reply. Let us know once you've updated it and we'll book the engineer appointment in as soon as we can so this can be further investigated.

It's worth noting that if an engineer goes out and reports back they've found no fault and the problem remains unchanged then it's unlikely we'd simply charge you for the visit, it's more likely we'd just arrange another engineer. We'd also then have the option of raising an escalation with our suppliers to try to ensure that an experienced engineer is assigned.

Call out charges for engineer visits are decided after the fault investigation ends, usually within 90 days as we robustly defend all engineer charges before accepting them and passing part of it on to our customers where/if appropriate.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

@Gandalf Thanks Anoush. I'll update the ticket over the weekend as I have a few commitments over the next week or so which are not confirmed at the moment.

I understand your comments re: engineer charges, and appreciate them, but as I am 99% certain the problem is not my side of the master socket (see earlier comments in this thread) I hope that when the engineer comes, he has a basic understanding of what has already been done, and doesn't just go over the same ground.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, let us know when you're free to go ahead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

@Gandalf, @EmilyD, @OskarPapa, @MasterOfReality.

Available dates/times now on the ticket.

One thing I noticed on the report included with your last response was in the 'profile' data - u/s profile 448, but data rate showing as (ISTR) 790. Could this mis-match have any bearing, or am I reading things wrong?

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, that shouldn't have any bearing on the issue. I've just made the booking for you and have updated the ticket on your account. - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@adamwalker Thanks, it was just a thought.Wink

John
jab1
Legend

@OskarPapa, @EmilyD, @Gandalf, or @adamwalker

I received an automated email at 01.33 this morning advising that interleaving had been turned on on my connection. To be honest, and it is also my fault for not suggesting this at the start, I am a little surprised this was not attempted earlier.

I am now more than a little concerned the OR engineer scheduled for tomorrow PM will declare 'NFF' and land me with a £65 charge, unless you can convince me otherwise. My current plot looks as below:-

SNR1.PNG

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

The connection has been stable since the modify order completed at around 1.15am. 

How are things looking from your point of view?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Thanks for the RADIUS log, @adamwalker.

Early days yet, but as you can see from the plot in my post above yours, the connection is looking very much more stable.

However, it now appears my upload speed has been capped at 448 - not a major issue as I do very little uploading, but still something that needs looking at, please.

As previously asked, is this 'improvement' going to mean tomorrows engineer visit is going to result in a £65 charge, because what s/he is coming to investigate appears to have been resolved?

For information, incoming phone calls are causing a very small drop in the u/s noise margin, but not affecting the d/s, and a call around 09.30 did result in a burst of 'clicking' on the line, audible to both me and the caller, but this was only for a couple of minutes of the 40 odd total call. A call around 12.40, from the same person, had no noise, but was of much shorter duration.

John
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @jab1

The upload capacity of your line is up to 1mb/s, so at around 444kb/s it's within that range - feel free to mention this to the engineer to get his/her input in terms of what your local cabinet etc is capable of. Just in terms of the engineer, I'd leave it as it is - for starters it was booked in good faith and secondly, given the other issues you've raised (phone noise etc) I'd like them to take a look to be thorough.

Let us know how you get on following the engineer visit.

Best wishes

Dave