cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer due to visit today, but no router delivered.

Horridge
Dabbler

Engineer due to visit today, but no router delivered.

Posted previously with regards to my connection, and once everything was sorted with the engineer I've been very happy with my connection. But a month ago I recommended my parents switching, I ordered their new connection (in my mother's name) after a bit of hassle with MAC codes, the engineer is finally due to visit today, but they've not been sent a router, so presumably (to avoid losing their current connection) we're going to have to turn the engineer away?
27 REPLIES 27
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Engineer due to visit today, but no router delivered.

@Horridge
Sorry to hear that, can you PM me their details (i.e username/query ID etc) so I can check and see what's happened?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Horridge
Dabbler

I initially put through the order on the 23rd February, so this is exactly a month later. Looking on the account it states that no hardware had been dispatched, so .... ? Presumably payment was taken at the time of ordering as well?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A mistake was made when we placed the order manually I'm afraid.
This shouldn't stop the engineer from completing the install but I'd still need to make you aware that we have heard of this causing issues with installs in the past.
I've dispatched the router now so that should reach them within the next couple of working days.
I'll keep an eye on the order today and if there's any issues with the install I should see that on the notes and if need be I'll expedite a second appointment if one is needed, but hopefully not.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Horridge
Dabbler

Without the router though presumably they're going to be without a connection for a couple of days at least. Both parents work from home so that's not really an option. Please advise?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's actually possible to connect directly to the Openreach fibre modem which should be installed today via a network cable so if the install completes as expected then at least they should be able to use that in the meantime (assuming their computer can be close by).
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shalom2010
Grafter

That's the first I heard of this method Adam. If this is the case why are we using a router? (Is it insecure connecting to the OR modem?)
jim:quote
apjashley1
Grafter

Connecting via a cable isn't very practial for most broadband users with iPhones, iPads etc. The Openreach equipment doesn't give out a wireless signal. Plus it only has 1 usable network port.
I think Adam is suggesting this just as a temporary measure to keep the OP's folks online until the router turns up
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks, but would it provide a 'better' connection or the same? (I'm just playing devil's advocate!). I don't use wireless often & one less transformer would be great, I guess I would loose the (limited) web interface.
@Oldjim...sorry for the quote, whoops forgot Sad
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
It's actually possible to connect directly to the Openreach fibre modem which should be installed today via a network cable

Can you also connect a simple switch to give multiple LAN devices access?
I've connected various network devices such as switches and access points to cable modems in the past, but never even seen a BT fibre modem as there's no fibre in our area (yet - fingers crossed for 2013).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks, but would it provide a 'better' connection or the same?

I don't imagine you'd see any difference, unless perhaps you were connecting using a wifi router which might mean a slower speed compared to ethernet or if you were using a very long ethernet cable, even then you'd have to be into the 10s of metres for that to make any difference.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Connecting a SINGLE PC to the BT Modem requires using PPPoE direct on the PC - this may give a 'better' connection than using a router because it takes a step out of the connection (but you'd probably never notice unless your router was very poor).
A switch COULD be connected to the BT modem BUT it would need to be unlocked so that the router functions (DHCP etc.) could be enabled within the modem (it IS actually a modem/router but is shipped set in bridge mode and locked) - unlocking is not too difficult with the Huawei HG612 but the other version (ECI) is a different story.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks everyone, sorry to move away from the original subject Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Not really moving away, the OP needs some advise on an interim solution.  Wink
It might also be possible to use the "old" router temporarily as an intermediate, reconfigured somewhat, depending what it is.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Or a cheap 'cable router' from a local shop?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.