cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer Never Arrived.

wo0x
Grafter

Re: Engineer Never Arrived.

Hi, interesting conversation, guys, but it seems that in order to be offered compensation or a 'goodwill gesture' you have to rant and be obnoxious. This isn't my style, nor is it my primary concern, I just want the fault fixed. It's been like this since January and is a pain in the a...
They've now found and fixed two faults on the overheard cabling between my home and the exchange, but it hasn't resolved my issue. I've continued to see disconnections and, as is the case after every SNR reset, DLM changes on three consecutive mornings increasing the SNR to 15db.
Every engineer has said the line in my home is perfect and that I shouldn't be having issues on such a short line.
ADSL Uptime 0 days 0 hours 51 minutes 7 seconds
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 32464
Lan Rx : 21546
ADSL Tx : 20124
ADSL Rx : 27864
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 17
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 26
HEC Down : 16
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 5.1
SNR Down : 14.4
Line Attenuation Up : 13.8
Line Attenuation Down : 21.0
Data Rate Up : 1135
Data Rate Down : 11815

Cheers,
Wo0x.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There could be more marginal joint faults, which were not exhibiting a problem at the time the engineers tested the line.
If you dial 17070 option 2 is the line quiet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wo0x
Grafter

Yes, the line's silent. First fault was found via a hawk test, the most recent one was found in my neighbour's garden whilst they inspected every joint between my home and where the cables go underground to the exchange. It was ''badly corroded.''
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The capping covers on new build homes are useless as they still leak in water and corrodes the cabling which affects your speeds (If i'm right)
I also have an engineer to sort out my external cabling when it comes from up the ground and into the house, hopefully they'll put a BT66 to completely keep out the water.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
wo0x
Grafter

I'm in an older house. It's an exchange only line and it enters my home from a pole just outside my garden. There are a few poles between my home and the point the cabling goes underground to the exchange, but I am very close to the exchange and each engineer remarks that I shouldn't be having any problems. Very frustrating to say the least.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Wo0x,
I've had a word with Kevin and he's going to be contacting our suppliers regarding this today. An update will be provided on Ticket: 79580565 as soon as he can provide further information.
wo0x
Grafter

Thanks, Linn.  Smiley
wo0x
Grafter

Hi, the latest reply on my support ticket says
RECOMMENDED ACTION
will contact BTW to have the circuit pinned to a 6db profile to prevent dropping back to 15 after reset.

The engineer told me this was a stupid idea as it doesn't fix any fault, it just covers it up. If anything I can expect more disconnections with the profile pinned.
Can someone explain this recommended action please?
Cheers,
Wo0x.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

More to the point, if those figures have been recorded the right way around (and refer to target SMRN rather than 'profile') that action would make your line potentially unusable.
A target SNRM of 15dB would deliver greater stability at a slower synch rate... and indeed could be a 'cover-up' of the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It's not. I'm going to review this tomorrow morning with Kevin before we take things any further.
wo0x
Grafter

Sorry, badly worded. I'm not suggesting it's a cover up by Plusnet. After talking with the engineer, he said there must be a reason the SNR goes back to 15db, they just haven't worked out what that reason is, despite already fixing two faults between my home and the exchange. Pinning it doesn't fix whatever that reason is, it just gives me more speed at the expense of stability, the disconnections are more frequent at 6db.
This fault was initially about packet loss, they never found the reason for that, it just disappeared whilst they investigated the exchange. The disconnections and SNR increases started after a 'lift and shift' which failed to fix the packet loss.

General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 13.8 21.0
SNR Margin: 6.2 14.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0
Cell Count: 135 137
Speed: 1123 11953

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 15904 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 12723
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 569
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 107

Anyone understand what the above means, in particular the mean time between errors, good, bad, average?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Wo0x,
Take a look here for a full explanation - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

wo0x
Grafter

Thanks for the link, Townman. The stats I posted are from Plusnet's testing on the fault ticket. I have an understanding of the general stats in my router, but haven't seen anything about MTBE and what would be considered acceptable/normal. I'd imagine ''indicative line quality red'' is a bad thing.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Wo0x,
Yes, RAG = Red (R) means that the line is adjusting itself in the "wrong" direction due to line stability issues.
The higher the MTBE the better - that is the average duration between error events.  Looking at your figures - US nearly 10 minutes and DS well you only just do one and a half minutes!  Not good!

Kevin

wo0x
Grafter

Thank you for the simple explanation. Appreciate it Smiley

Wo0x.