cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Enable fast path

I now have 41.5 hours DSL uptime after the TPM module has been completed, so this is much better already. I still want to let it run for a week as I haven't had an uptime this long since the problems started, so again prefer no testing to be done that could knock the line out.

The thing remaining that I'm seeing is SNR drops that happen a lot and many errors. From the plusnet sagemcom router:

(Down/Up)

Super Frame Errors: 118745/2094

HEC Errors: 101705/1342

Total ES: 15016/1946

Total SES: 1934/2

Total UAS: 70/26

Sometimes downstream SNR drops down as low as 4 or 3.9 is the lowest I've seen it, from 6 which it's set at.

The phone still seems to be noisy at times but I don't want to try from the test socket until I've seen how stable the line is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DS 

That would cross off those fixtures as a potential source of interference at least. Going to be until Tuesday until they sort those out but I'll be glad to see it happen.

From the feel of it the water in my kitchen is now running hotter than it did before the switches were changed, which is a win in itself.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Glad to hear they'll be done on Tuesday Smiley

If the breaker serving the heater was 'buzzing' then there's every chance it might actually be arcing, so the volts/current was jumping the gap. This would reduce the capacity of the device in question (I would think anyway). Now the breakers are new,it can now work better than before, hence why you feel it's hotter (though could be tricking yourself and it's the same - who knows, but at least the supply to it is better;))

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DS 

Socket tester arrived today, here are some results.

No sign of any earth, neutral, or live faults.

I'm reading 238v, and in some cases flicks down to 237v very briefly. Very slight difference in behaviour for some sockets but more or less the same thing.

Not sure if this is expected or not but..

Turning my kitchen fridge off and ensuring both water heaters are off: 239-240v

Turning the freezer off as well seems to give a stable 240v without any variance.

Keeping the fridge, freezer and both water heaters on: 236v

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it just varies a bit but seems to be the case that turning those things off or on makes a difference.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Socket tester arrived today, here are some results.

No sign of any earth, neutral, or live faults.

Thumbs_Up and Thumbs_Up

I'm reading 238v, and in some cases flicks down to 237v very briefly. Very slight difference in behaviour for some sockets but more or less the same thing.

Sounds fine (could well be 237.9v but the readout doesn't go above 3 digits)

Turning my kitchen fridge off and ensuring both water heaters are off: 239-240v

Sounds fine too. I had 223-270vac during my mains issues. It used to settle around 253vac.

Keeping the fridge, freezer and both water heaters on: 236v

A bit of load and a small dip is to be expected. If I cranked mine up I could drop my house volts by 30 volts.

Mines as sorted as it can be, bar digging up this cable too and replacing it - the main feed in the street isn't big enough for modern day living. I had then tap the transformer down in my substation too (and replaced a 2 metre section outside my house and give me a new service feed). Not checked it lately, but around 240vac now:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah so no issues that this thing can detect then, doesn't rule out noise but glad that looks OK. Sadly I think checking for interference on the mains would be more expensive and I'd be out of my depth probably too.

DS
Seasoned Champion

No, it can detect things;). Yours passed the tests, but doesn't mean it's then useless. Depending on it's build quality, and if it beeps or not, you could leave it plugged in. Then from time to time take a quick glance at it. Only if it's rated for continuous use mind you!! Or when you think things arn't right, plug it in then and note the volt reading.

Same for the standard incandescent bulb - does it flicker when you're not loading up your supply - it can 'see' outside influences, that's how I started my own voltage investigations, no special tools needed;) (though I had them at the time)

Likewise, if you're on a shared supply, if a muppet neighbour was messing on the shared service and somehow cut the earth feed to you property, it would alert you the fact. It's more useful than you think it is!

If you're seeing flickering, or dimming too much, or more importantly extreme brightness, then (via the landlord/letting agent) get those whom maintain your network out to investigate, they do have the right gear. And there's no cost to you for any works needed in correcting the supply issues (as long as you or your gear is causing it).

If the plug is showing erratic results and you're seeing fluctuating BB speeds, then this could be related (note could, and not is).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I meant that it didn't directly detect any issues, but thanks for the extra tips there I will try it out. The manual says the test is five minutes at a time only. Not sure where I can get incandescent bulbs these days, but I will look around for them.

The good news is my main complaint of drops seems to be resolved as I have three days uptime now. I'm just left with SNR drops and many errors. Just waiting to see if I get to a week.

I have a cheap RF filter that just goes on the end of the adsl cable that I can test to see if there is any likely noise on the line.

DS
Seasoned Champion

If it's 5, stick to 4, better to be safe than sorry. If you think it's a bit wobbly, stick it in and see what's happening.

The bulb trick isn't critical, just a suggested option;)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DS

Well, the electrician checked the lights and sorted it out. Turns out it's just the sheeth slipped out and the cores were still supporting the fixture. Sure, seems like not an issue to plug in for 5 minutes though.. just a question of if I can manage to sit and watch it for that long.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Optimatts 

There seems to have been no drop outs for just over 6 days now. I won't ask for any tests to be run until tomorrow as I still don't want it to drop for now, but there seems to be high amount of errors. Are you able to confirm that I've had no drops but there is a high number of errors? Do these errors indicate there is still a problem?

If I reach 7 days tomorrow I will ask for some tests to be run as it makes sense to do that before closing the fault.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Anonymous

I've checked out your connection radius log and I can confirm your connection has been lovely and stable for the past 6 days:

http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image15548212815025.png

Lines generally pick up errors now and then, depending on your length and quality of the line. The SNR is designed to manage this. If the tolerance is too low it'll cause the errors to cause drops etc.

You might lose a small amount of speed as the line is sacrificing a little speed in favour of stability. This is why lines tend to have fairly broad estimates too.

Naturally without running a full test on your line to see the sync speed and risk dropping the connection I can't see what you're getting through. However it looks like the SNR is doing its job. In theory though, you should be syncing between 12 to 19.5Mbps.

Let us know tomorrow if you want us to run a test. Looking at your radius logs I'd be hopeful in saying everything's sorted.

DS
Seasoned Champion

In reply to @Anonymous 

Although the outer sheathing is there to protect the main wires, yes it is PVC and yes it can stretch. But the cores should not be taking the weight as they could pull out of the terminals.

So he is kinda right. If it was the ceiling rose where the cables were supporting, then worse case the whole fitting drops. If it was at the light fitting end, then the live conductors could be exposed, which isn't a good thing.

But it's fixed, that's the main thing:)

Ah, the old sit n wait;)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DS 

Yeah he pretty much said the inner cores support the lights. Idk about this not an electrician and not me that pays for one, but it's a little safer so there's that.