cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Enable fast path

Yeah it's all certificated and so on, checked every five years. They agreed with me it seems very weird for the plug socket to be like that. I noticed a bit of a slight 'buzz' at the mains when either of the water heaters are switched on (have one the same in the bathroom) but I haven't heard it before, assume it's just the extra power draw when they're first turned on.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

If they agreed at the time, then I'm pretty gobsmacked that they didn't investigate it at that time. A fuse spur should not kill the socket, simples ;). It really does sound like it's been wired wrong.

Crikey, no buzzing either. It's quite possible there's a loose connection, or a breaker on it's way out. If there's something loose and you're pulling current through it, this equals heat. Too much heat and I'm sure you can guess what comes next.

I have very high KW loads here and my distribution board is perfectly silent, though I fitted it myself.

Do not start tinkering either, report it and assuming your landlord isn't one of these rogue ones, where some don't use qualified sparkies, then this warrants fairly urgent attention by the sounds of it.

Periodically a sparks should check the breakers are operating correctly, visually inspect and ideally check every connection is secure.

Hearing all this is rather worrying...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm. Then I'll get on to them right away. Cheers.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hope I didn't scare you or anything. Undecided

But it really does warrant checking. Smiley

'Noise' on the mains could well be being 'seen' in the router too, which in turn could well be a cause of connection issues.

(used to run my old routers via a leisure battery when I also had voltage issues;))

Weird stuff is electrickery

Anonymous
Not applicable

All good, and much appreciated.

They told me to turn the water heaters off at the mains. Sending someone to check it tomorrow. So will soon see what's what with that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sparky came this morning said I need new switches on the panel for both heaters (no signs of burning), and socket needs to be sorted. Should happen very soon (didn't have the parts) but in the meantime said just to switch them off when not in use. Thanks again mate Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

OR were working on my cabinet this morning for a fair bit, not sure if that has anything to do with the TPM order (assuming probably not). Barriers in place and hazard lights on, assume it's not routine stuff at least then. Hopefully that work takes place Monday, gives me a little advance warning Smiley

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Anonymous,

Thanks for letting us know how it's going.

Please let us know how you get on once the order has completed.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do. Hoping that will be it after the TPM as it seems like it really would be a whole new line then.

DS
Seasoned Champion

All good, and much appreciated.

Phew! Wink

They told me to turn the water heaters off at the mains. Sending someone to check it tomorrow. So will soon see what's what with that.

Probably good to do this anyway, only switch on when needed

Sparky came this morning said I need new switches on the panel for both heaters (no signs of burning), and socket needs to be sorted.

Good. It's noted, they know, any issues arise from then until now,you should be covered - let's say something of yours goes 'pop'. You may be able to have the replacement covers covered, though it might be a bit of a battle...?

Should happen very soon (didn't have the parts) but in the meantime said just to switch them off when not in use.

Hopefully. If it were me, I'd be on it el pronto.

Thanks again mate

No worries at all. Kinda glad we had this chat. I'm hoping my knowledge has been worth your while. You need any advice, all things electricity related, just let me know and I'll do my best to help/advise you. Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DS 

I was a tad concerned about buzzing and turned it off right away, but it's good for someone to confirm it rather than just questioning it. I'm sure it's OK whilst turned off, but of course getting back to them very soon about their follow up visit.

They won't fix the lights as quickly since they are prioritizing the buzzing and the badly connected socket, but hopefully it gives me a little weight for getting them to tackle that separate issue quickly.

You can drop me a message if you like, might have a couple of things you'd find interesting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any chance there's an update on the TPM order? I'm sure you've put it through, just wondering if OR have any updates on that as I've not noticed any downtime on my end.

DS
Seasoned Champion

it's good for someone to confirm it rather than just questioning it

It most certainly is a good thing to get others opinions Wink

I'm sure it's OK whilst turned off

Yep. No on, no current flow, no buzz Wink

They won't fix the lights as quickly since they are prioritizing the buzzing and the badly connected socket

Can see their logic, though don't let them 'forget' about these either. If one drop causing the breaker, or fuse depending on age, will cause all other ceiling lights (on that circuit) to potentially go out too, as they'll be fed from the lighting circuit (houses with more than one floor will have lighting circuits for each floor).

I should be around... Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, noted. Plan was to get on to them about the mains issue first, then make a separate call about the dangle lights. I'll likely get someone different on the phone the second time around and will avoid confusing the issue. Also quite glad we had this conversation and my attention was turned to potential faulty electronics, as mains problems easily trumps my internet problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TPM seems to have started from yesterday, broadband is offline but phone isn't. Will see how that goes with just all standard kit connected up tomorrow or the day after when they finish.

I didn't realise that was a broadband only thing. I wonder if they will be able to solve it this way if it turns out there is noise on the phoneline still.