Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Enable fast path

Either ask around, or wait to see if anyone on here can advise on the upper link.

This one will show if the wiring is in the right place, but won't show if it's in poor condition. It would be good though, you can verify that the wiring inside the socket is correct, plus it'll give you the volts going to a socket - it should be the same on all of your sockets;)

Yep, have to agree, sounds like the kettle is as well built as plusnet routers!! Grin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll grab one of those and see how it is then. If it passes those tests it will be enough to satisfy me about power issues for now. Thanks for all the help on that, it's quite interesting to pass some time actually.

Haha, well as far as I can tell plusnet routers are just rebranded BT routers so it wouldn't surprise me if they're not that good under the hood. Their homehubs were pretty bad last time I had BT internet. But I always buy my own rather than suffer with ISP issue kit. The plusnet ones seem OK to me in comparison to some others but I would never call any ISP issue kit good.

DS
Seasoned Champion

It would be a good investment Wink

No problem at all, glad we have a bit of a chinwag. Hopefully I didn't make your head go mushy!! Wink

They are indeed, BT's hand-me-downs, someone has got to get rid of them!!

The BTHub6 is, thus far, appears to be a pretty good router too. I've always used an ISP router, so I can 'learn' about them, then pass it on to others.

Anyway, hope your issues get sorted Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I reckon so too. New place just plug it in and see what it says, socket problems same thing.

The high CRC errors normally says to me noise issue. They'll have eliminated the line as an issue in a few days I guess, or at least BT will think so. That would at least point me towards potential interference problems with something electrical, so probably not far wrong.

Using the Cat5e adsl cable seems to have greatly improved the drops (but not the errors) so that seems to point to that as well. But I'm unlikely to leave that plugged in if BT needs to visit again.. better to make improvements after the problem is fixed I think.

ATU-C Vendor ID:                          Texas Instruments 5.16
ATU-C System Vendor ID:                   Texas Instruments 0.81
XTSE Capabilities:                        0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0
Annex:                                    A
Line Mode:                                G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Profile:                                 
Line State:                               UP [0x801: showtime_tc_sync]
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS):  Near: 0 / Far: 11628
Errored seconds (ES):                     Near: 3189 / Far: 49163
Severely Errored Seconds (SES):           Near: 126 / Far: 4103
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS):            Near: 0 / Far: 35416
Unavailable Seconds (UAS):                Near: 48 / Far: 48
Header Error Code Errors (HEC):           Near: 23327 / Far: 117945
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P):        Near:  / Far:
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P):           Near:  / Far:
Power Management Mode:                    L0 - Synchronized
Latency [Interleave Delay]:               0.25 ms [Fast]   1.0 ms [Fast]
Data Rate:                                Down: 12.056 Mb/s / Up: 1.064 Mb/s
Line Attenuation (LATN):                  Down: 28.0 dB / Up: 15.2 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN):                Down: 26.7 dB / Up: 15.2 dB
Noise Margin (SNR):                       Down: 6.2 dB / Up: 6.6 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (ACTATP):        Down: 20.4 dB / Up: 12.8 dB
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR):       Down: 12.164 Mb/s / Up: 21.381 Mb/s
Line Uptime Seconds:                      83015
Line Uptime:                              23h 3m 35s

So nearly 24 hours with a couple of mild improvements, only real change is cat5e adsl cable and the changes I made with the new surge strip. Somehow I don't get CRCs shown with this particular router but I'm sure it's high.

DS
Seasoned Champion

It saves time, saves money (find your own faults), saves lives

I can't actually count my CRC's, but the last 4 Openreach guys all said mine were very high :(. But mine IS a line issue, it's the fixing it that's the problem. The cable from my cabinet to the pole is 'poorly', old and ready for retirement. They've done a fair bit of work 'out there', but having moved me to another pair, the issues persist - OR term it 'cable fill'. Too much 'chatter' on it and moving me around the cable only moves the issue around the cable. Hopefully yours doesn't turn out to be the same...?

I've currently put on hold my 'tweaking' until the cable outside is sorted. No point for me yet. IF they replace it, then I'm going all out!! Squeeze as much as I can out of it Azn

edit. Caught your edit too. BT used to let us see error counts, but removed them a while back - apparently they were getting too many calls with users reporting error counts.... I was hoping the H6 would 'give out its secrets', but nope. Although I use them, I am considering a move to a non ISP router, but only when the line is 100% fine. The thing is, if I don't used a HH for a while, I tend to forget my usual shortcuts through their pages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they manage to clear your fault.. I was thinking to try the following if they fix mine:

1. Get a "g.fast" BT brand VDSL faceplate from runit because it has option for dedicated adsl extension

2. Get adsl dedicated extension kit with full copper cat5e (no copper clad aluminium or stranded copper)

3. Get an RF3 and fit it between NTE and dedicated extension

4. Get a cat6a adsl cable to go from dedicated extension to the router

Most of that's available on runit or other providers of telecom kit might have some of it too, runit is quite expensive.

Some of that might help you squeeze, but you'd need an NTE5c upgrade for that particular setup. NTE5a I think austin taylor faceplate + shielded adsl cable might be a first try, and then runit xte VDSL clone with a similar setup to above if it doesn't improve. Unless BT take pity on you and give you an NTE5c. I think RF3 will not always help with speed as it also attenuates the line more, but will help with noise that isn't considered a fault.

That seems to be the common thing now for them. Lock the interface so people don't see the errors, then they can't complain about too many errors. But that could just help to hide a fault too, like a noise fault or cable problem which CRCs would give you a hint about.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Already have item 1 Tongue

Don't need 2 or 3

Regarding 4, been looking at CAT7, though if and when the cable is sorted, could well be cat97 by then!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the latest improvement is CAT8 which has been ratified by one standards body, just waiting for another to approve it. It's rumoured to be the last upgrade to copper ethernet cables that will ever be done.

But I think CAT7 or 8 will not work as an adsl cable at all because it's too thick to terminate with any adsl plugs, I'm clueless about fibre though.. maybe it just works. Downside is how rigid those cables are, and likelihood a kink or bending will ruin the cable. They are for data centers really, where units are in close proximity to each other and I think rated for 40 meters max.

I see a seller on ebay providing shielded cat6a stranded copper with an adsl terminated plug on one end, I don't see anything better than that though. Cat6a is quite rigid compared to cat5e stp but not as bad as CAT8. Avoid (sharp) bending and kinking, use stranded copper unless it's a fixed installation and it should be fine.

I tried terminating cat6a myself with adsl plugs and it seems to not be possible unless you get a special type of rj12 plug, which I can't find a seller for in the UK. Shame because I'd prefer to make my own.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Must admit, not read up on CAT8 as yet.

I've got 'plans' to make 7 fit though

I used to work with fibre many many years ago, not used it for some time now.

Working in data centres first got my cogs whirring, always used to future proof everything, though let that slip lately - mainly health reasons Sad

But I'll get round to it, one day;)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Should be interesting to see if cat7 can be made to fit into an adsl plug, let me know if you manage that.

I had a small piece of cat8 between router and modem before, maybe it's placebo but I seemed to notice a small difference from cat6a. But that was a setup that wasn't meant to shift around, which I have been doing whilst testing since all these problems, so no cat8 just now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure I still have a fault that needs tracking down but stable 30 hours now with the improved cabling my side. Better noise rejection and signal on cat5e so I assume that's why, other cables (without any faults on them) fail to hold a connection for 8-12 hours.

Not sure about CRC errors as this particular router doesn't display them for some reason, other errors look high. I guess CRCs look high at that end though?

No sign of TPM work starting yet as no net blackout.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Regarding the error count(s)

From what OR told me, CRC's are the ones they go off. They don't have any real concerns with FEC's

In honesty, with what you're doing at your end, I can't see what more you can actually do (bar things we've chatted about - UPS etc). But a 'decent' router, any elimination of 'forces' due to you (or your gear), me thinks they (OR) should get your line in a happy bunny state, thus making you a happy bunny too Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I prefer to know there's no interference or underlying fault and that I'm not just masking some issue. So if I had to change gear for any reason it would still work and I wouldn't be forced to go through any expense to get a similar setup. ie service works as delivered.

If it's a local noise problem hopefully they can track it down and get it fixed by whoever it falls to. If not they can still do a few things I think.

Better cabling didn't really help me before so I'm starting to think it can be made to work as delivered, and have a little hope now they will clear the fault Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news, got someone sorting out the dangle lights for me soon, and see if they can do anything about the odd mains issue, but might need someone else to check the weird mains issue.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thumbs_Up

Good, they really do need sorting!!;)

The mains issue - all wall sockets, should not be affected by any other switches. Each side (left and right) should be tested (with your new addition) to make sure each physical switch turns off and on. The tester should indicate no connection issues. Any switches that don't feel right, as in the 'click' doesn't sound 'firm', should (imo) be changed for a new one. Any cracks in the plastic, or brown burn marks where the plug goes should (imo) be swapped out for a new one too.

It's the same for any light switches - nice 'click' and no cracks.

All sockets and light switches do not last forever, so bear that in mind too. I've not checked, but assume as part of your tenancy agreement the mains services should be periodically tested and certified - same for gas too if you have it.

As said earlier, the wall switch for the heater should not affect any other circuits.

I would have to say, your landlord is liable for any repairs and tests, though you may be liable if you caused the damage (but don't mention 20 halogen heaters and 30 halogen lights!!;))