cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Enable fast path

Not very happy since the apparently internal PTSN fault that was found around 9PM, said they'd call me back to let me know if the fault was genuine or another time out issue but didn't. Hasn't been added to my ticket so I have no idea what's going on with that, which just wastes my time (twice since I now have to chase support for answers).

Please let me know the status of this as soon as you can, as I need to know if I should ask for another engineer visit or if this is an internal fault.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Anonymous

I've just checked your open fault and we're still awaiting an update on this one - our faults team are monitoring this for you and will be in touch as soon as we know more.

Best wishes

Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

Latest on this is I just booked an engineer in for Wednesday and support has given me some more information.

According to the them a copper joint fault has been found that's completely external. Any chance this information could be added to my ticket so I can see for myself? Thanks Smiley

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Anonymous,

I've updated the ticket confirming the engineer appointment booking now. For reference, this can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for updating that. There seems to have been a little confusion about the time but the appointment is a morning slot according to support on the phone. Apparently they've already tried to go out and work on the line yesterday which was just something they went to do themselves since I had no appointment for that. Was also wondering how they came to find the copper joint fault, just so I can let the OR engineer know if they don't have that information.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Anonymous,

The copper joint fault is what was detected when the previous agent ran tests on your line. This will be documented on the fault, though it never hurts to discuss this with the engineer when they carry out their visit.

Regarding the appointment slot that's been booked, does this need to be changed? I can see that on the original ticket text the agent that booked the appointment had stated the engineer would be visiting in the evening, though as mentioned in my previous response via the open fault ticket, the appointment has been booked as a morning visit from between 8AM-1PM. If this does need changing then please let us know as soon as possible so that we can look into arranging this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, it's good this came up on the test then and I will let the engineer know about it. The morning slot turns out to be my preference now so there's no need to change it, just a lucky mistake then. That's great and thanks for all the help. I will see how it goes tomorrow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Engineer visited today, changed external wiring between myself and the cabinet and fitted a slightly better cable with apparently a single pair and thicker conductor.

Was also put on a new copper pair from cabinet to exchange. On the previous visit the same engineer changed cables at the exchange end. He said it's a whole new line now.

They just left so I'm waiting to see if I get any more drops. If there are then I will ask to book another engineer right away.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

That's great news @myplsnet.

Please do let us know how you get on and remember that if you need any further assistance, we're only a click away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well hopefully that's enough to fix it. I had one drop already but will give it until tomorrow or it drops again whichever comes first as the engineer set my line profile back to the defaults, and support seems to have run line tests. Not completely out of the woods yet, but those things are checked off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the fault is gone, so just waiting for the disconnect to confirm it. There are still a large amount of errors on the line, with 400 reported CRC errors over a period of one minute, ES 120.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us.

I can see our faults team are monitoring this further.

Hopefully the errors calm down but if not we may need to go down the interference route

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

Please see attached dslstats graphs. Per sample doesn't look as bad but it's 30 seconds per sample and over a 1 minute period you can see it's about 1000 errors maybe more since the chart won't go that high.

Some stats since plugging this router in:

G.997.1 Statistics (last 24 hours):        

Failures:
    Line failures                            Near end
      Loss of signal (LOS):                 0       
      Loss of frame (LOF):                  0       
      Loss of power (LPR):                 0       

Performance monitoring:
    Line PM:                             Near end
      Error second (ES):                  1047    

Channel PM:                         Near end     Far end
      Bearer 0:
        Code Violation (CV):             14503        165     
        FEC:                             0            0       

ATM data path PM:                     Near end     Far end
      Bearer 0:
        HEC violation count (HEC):            29272        N/A

I'm not sure how but apparently the errors at least are much worse since the engineer visit, similar to how the drops were much worse since the last visit with the same SFI engineer. No drops that I can confirm as genuine drops right now though. If it turns out it's just worse for no apparent reason I'd really have to wonder why they've made my line worse, unless an interference fault is just getting worse?

Aside from DLM does adsl have an 'adjustment' period? If so I'm happy to give it a little bit of time for that.

Although it's now a new line, the port I'm on at the exchange wasn't mentioned so I assume that's the same port even if cabling has been replaced at both ends? If so that's something they could try, not sure if that would put me on a new line card as that seems to be ideal according to a bit of searching around.

Actually the engineers that have been coming out have been pushing a little for me to get fibre, by that I mean they've recommended I get fibre/vdsl a few times now. Easy fix for them maybe but if it's not a fix then I'd just have a more expensive faulty line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My line stats, attenuation and so on are the same as before. Only difference is in sync because the SNR has been dropped back to where it should be. Could someone please add that to my ticket? I wouldn't want to be charged because 'BT improved the line' as the engineer mentions when actually he just changed the SNR.

Just to mention, above line stats are from a roughly 6 hour session. That's all I've recorded so far since the changes, which is why it looks short.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry that you're still having issues.

Our tests are showing a high amount of errors on the line like what you're seeing.

I've requested the escalation with our suppliers to be picked up at team manager level, and I've also asked that they order what's called a tie pair modification(TPM) which will move you to a different port at the exchange. Although we may need to arrange another engineer visit to carry out a lift and shift, which is basically the same but an engineer does it directly.

As the fault isn't resolved it's unlikely we'd base any call-out charge solely on the last visit.

There is also a training period for ADSL which is normally 10 days but that's following a complete DLM reset. If the engineer had just manually changed the SNR I wouldn't expect that to start the training period.

We'll let you know as soon as we know more though let us know how it goes over the next few days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet