cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Enable fast path

Not yet 48 hours uptime then if I have that right. The router is now double checked for being at fault and both the cable and VDSL faceplate were brand new.

I'm doubly sure then there is no fault on my side of things, and the line still drops at 9db SNR which is a maximum value for me so I can be sure the fault is still present even if it's less noticable on the phone now.

I'd prefer they didn't at all test the router as I've eliminated that, and according to some sources they charge when they found no fault because they tested the router. I'm sure you'll do your best to dispute it, I'd just rather they didn't try to charge on principle at this point.

Anyway much thanks for all the help. I think I don't need to test much here now, but I'll check some more of my own equipment later to be sure it's OK too.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries, if the engineer on Friday finds no fault and the problem remains the same then we'll likely just simply arrange another engineer. Once the fault investigation is concluded and the problem is hopefully resolved, that's the time where we'll review any charges which may or may not be applicable.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

As expected all that happened was a quicker line drop with 6db SNR. Have been checking the QLT occasionally but it's just intermittent as expected.

Have thrown in a spare router that has never been plugged into the line for very long before. Mostly because the faceplate blew before, so just on the remote possibility both units became faulty. I can collect graphs from this model too using DSLStats so I will leave it running for as long as I can to see if there are patterned times when more downstream errors or SNR drops occur etc.

Cheers Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

So far the only real pattern I have is there has usually been a high burst of CRC errors when it drops, around 200 in a 30 second period.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This might be useful since I haven't seen this before and it coincides with a drop this morning.

G.997.1 Statistics (Current):        

Failures:
    Line failures                            Near end
      Loss of signal (LOS):                 1       
      Loss of frame (LOF):                  9       
      Loss of power (LPR):                 0       

All this tells me is that the signal was lost and some frames. I would think it's related to my intermittent noise issue but hopefully this gives you some more clues about what's going on.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the 582n usually reports those LOS and LOF counts each time the ADSL link drops. I don't think it is indicative of anything in particular, it's just what you get when the ADSL drops.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback.

Had the SFI engineer visit just now. Confirmed everything as working fine inside the property including all my kit here, and he said the copper pair is also fine.

He said prior to his visit he run a test and found a loop error but found nothing like that when he got here. He's just going down the exchange now to check all equipment, run another test and see if he can find anything. He mentioned he would change all the cabling for me at that end as well, but it sounded like a bit of a maybe on that one so we'll see what he says when he calls back.

He also confirmed down SNR should be on 6 instead of 9 which it went back to again because of the drops, and he's going to put it back to 6 for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The engineer confirmed to me just now he changed all the cables between the exchange and broadband equipment and said that everything else was spot on that he tested. He thinks everything should be fine now, and has closed the SFI case.

He just said to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. So here's hoping everything is fine now, if not that's another thing eliminated at least.

Also said he changed the line settings for stability, not sure what he means by that. If support could check to see what changed that would be great, just so I know what's what with my profile settings. Far as I can see down SNR is on 9 still.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @myplsnet, thanks for your post.

We're glad to hear that the SFI has reported the issue resolved to you.

Unfortunately, the SFI notes have not updated as of yet and so we're unable to check on what work was completed. We'll keep an eye out over the course of today and update you when the notes become available.

Please let us know if you need anything else at all in the meantime.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm not sure he said it was resolved, just that he was closing it. Hopefully he did clear the 'rectified loop' issue but going to have to wait and see if my fault is cleared. I'll let things run for a couple of days, and if problems continue I'll get back to you.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

That's great.

Please do let us all know how you get on and if you need anything else at all please get in touch.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. I do know support once found the same issue but it turned out the faceplate had shorted somehow, and then that stopped showing up. What is a rectified loop anyway? From a web search my best guess is it's just a short, two wires contacting each other or water causing contact but there seems to be no definitive answer. Anyway it's something I'll ask support to check for on the phone if there's further problems.

Think the engineer may have meant he was leaving the SNR on 9 instead of 6 as he said, so asked support to put it on 6 for me. Had some drops on 6, so asked for it to go back to 9 and that's applied now. Just to satisfy myself BTWs idea of how to stabilize it will be the same, I'll let it run at 9 and at the first sign of a drop I'll get back in touch about the fault.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so as expected it dropped again. This was after about 4 hours, last drop the line held roughly the same time too. I think this is actually just getting worse now.

Just to list what's done then: some wiring improvements at the cabinet that seemed to help with the phone line noise, changes to wiring at the exchange which hasn't helped maybe even made it worse. They checked the equipment there, and all my equipment so everything is fine. Different profiles are not helping.

The only noteable thing is they still haven't checked anywhere locally for water getting in somewhere. I'm glad they are making physical changes to the line now but so far no fix, so I'm actually wondering how to go about getting them to check for any problems caused by water getting in.

I'll call support soon to get them to run broadband and phone tests, but my ticket is not updated yet with the new engineer notes from yesterday.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tech support just ran a phoneline and broadband test. Apparently a PTSN fault was returned by the check and it's internal to plusnet. This happened before but it turned out it was the test timing out or something, is it just another false positive?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like I'll be lucky to get 6 hours out of this before it drops now. So I'm expecting at least 4 drops a day from 1 which went to 2. Makes me wonder if they disturbed whatever it is causing the problem when they went down the exchange.