cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Potential REIN fault?

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt that you have a fault. What I am saying is that your tests with a radio could be sending you down a blind alley. Line drops when it rains is significant due to water ingress issues but a short section of bare wire is no more susceptible to pick up than an unscreened insulated one. Noise during a quiet line test is also significant.

Hopefully something will be picked up during the line monitoring process.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, I'm not getting you wrong on that. I understand it could be not related or even relevant to the issue I have.

The raining part is a recent addition really, which I didn't spot before. Since everything seemed fine except the quiet line test before that raised my suspicions about noise coming in from somewhere.

I'm now leaving it for the fault team to take care of, but it happens that I've ordered a cheap router that's compatible with DSLstats (router stats monitoring program) so I might be able to see more clearly what's going on for myself.

Based on your feedback I will try to ignore REIN as an issue completely until someone says otherwise. So I'll stick to the facts and circumstances of the line going down whenever I get in touch with support or openreach comes out.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that @Baldrick1 has pointed you in the right direction with this anyway. Generally interference such as rein tend to show an organized pattern of disconnection.

I've popped a connection radius below and I'm not seeing anything untoward strange.

I can see a memeber of our team attempted to contact you to book an engineer. I've updated the fault ticket on your account to send the request once more.

Viewable here

If you could reply with some availability and let me know, I can then get it booked in for you Smiley

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Enable fast path

Hi @Anonymous,

I've replied to your other post regarding your fault and also sent you an update via your open ticket.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Two topics merged to keep OP's information all in one place and to help staff.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any day but Thursday would be great and I'd be happy to take the first available slot. It's fine if you need to call to confirm the appointment.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Anonymous

I'm afraid we would need a reply with availability in the format requested via the ticket thread on your account - you can click here to jump directly to the ticket. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, let me see if I can provide some times.

I'm available for an engineer visit 8am-1pm Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday. I'm also available from 1pm-6pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

I can see that the last engineer gives the note "NTE replaced as it was obsolete." which is odd because this is a new install with an NTE5c from the start of my contract.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@Anonymous - Please can you provide this in a reply to the ticket using the link I shared above? 

We are unable to take availability via the forums. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to get through on the phone so I'm booked in now for early tomorrow.

Will see how this goes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The engineer visit didn't go so well. No problem was found on the line again. The exchange was checked this time, as apparently sometimes they notice issues on some of their newer blocks with the wiring. But I was told after checking it that I'm not using the new ones so it's not with that.

I was told that if water was getting in somewhere whilst it's raining it would stay in there and it would be down for longer.

The engineer also told me they've been having problems with plusnet lines specifically with the same symptoms I have. Apparently this has been happening with the plusnet servers for some customers, in cases where they've found the line itself to be fine.

I'm not convinced by this given the nature of the issues and it doesn't explain noise on the phoneline, but please could you escalate this issue so that this situation can be checked to determine if errors or authentication issues occur on that side of things.

They did not check the physical wiring at the cabinet, street or property level this time but line checks were done at both ends between here and the exchange.

Although I'm happy that plusnet have been helpful and willing to call out engineers when needed I'm put in a situation now where I have to make a complaint because I need this to be fixed.

My speeds have slowed to 9.5Mbit because of all the drops and I was told I would get 10Mbit speeds at minimum. I think my profile may have banded, and at last checking support told me downstream SNR was being put on 10.7 because of the drops.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I made a complaint about the ongoing fault and the customer service rep ran a test on the phoneline. This has turned up an internal fault which I've been told is within plusnet and has nothing to do with BT or the physical phone line but they didn't find anything with the broadband again.

My phoneline has been tested more than once before without finding any problems. But I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now that a fault was found during the test and they gave a time frame of 72 hours to fix.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies @Anonymous, It sounds like some of the information you were given doesn't quite add up.

From looking into the notes on your account and retesting things I can see that you might have been provided with some incorrect information.

The phone fault you mentioned above has not actually identified a fault as the diagnostic just failed mid test.

When this happens we then need to perform a retest. And more often than not the test comes back clear, as it has in your case.

This is not an issue within Plusnet but merely the test needed to be re-ran.

As before the phone line test is clear and we will need to carry on looking into your fault from the broadband side of things.

From looking into the notes on your account and retesting things we are likely going to need a further engineer visit. 

I have provided a further update and also an availability request on your fault ticket viewable HERE

Anonymous
Not applicable

The customer support rep on the phone told me she ran the test three times to be sure of it. So did it fail midtest three times here? If not I'd like that fault re-opened.

I don't think calling a third engineer out is likely to have a different result unless the engineer has reported something to you that they haven't to me.

Unless there is a way to make sure they check every single point of the line from here to exchange.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If an engineer comes out I want them to check every single part of the line from NTE to exchange this time even if it takes them the whole day to find the issue. If you can arrange that, then I'll be happy to book an engineer but I've given everyone a reasonable chance to solve the problem now.