cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Enable fast path

As far as the DLM reset went the statistics on the line went back to being normal, interleave is off and I'm happy with the latencies. Additionally the CRC errors are very low now which is for some reason a huge difference from when the line had interleaving applied.

However, the line has not become stable. Twice now the line has dropped at exactly midnight and I don't think it will keep a stable line. I'm sure it's on the openreach side of things but I will do what I can to eliminate equipment issues this week if only to prove it's not a CPE issue.

If that just shows instability still, I would ask if we can test a 9db snr profile to see if I can still get 10Mbit speeds and a stable line. Failing that then a DLM reset with interleaving on again, just to see how that would go, otherwise I think openreach would have to come back out.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Anonymous

I can see the drops that are continuing to plague your line - but testing is not bringing up any reasons for this at all. 

Just to double check as I may have missed this in the above thread - are you connected to you Test Socket? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not connected to the test socket right now. I didn't think of doing that since I have the original faceplate and a MK4 faceplate I got separately. Right now I've switched to using the original faceplate, the plusnet issued adsl cable and filter, and have just put the sagecom router in place. But I will change to the test socket if/when it goes down again.

I'm not sure how helpful it is but the thing I've noticed most is the SNR is inconsistent.

The original reason for requesting a profile of 6db SNR was because the line profile had changed itself to 3db SNR interleaved which was unstable.

When the profile was put on 6db snr by support, the upstream SNR got stuck on 9db which looked out of place and is why I requested the reset

After it was reset and interleaving disabled there was no problem with the error counts, but I've seen the downstream SNR creep up to 8 and sometimes drop down to 5. Same thing with the upstream SNR.

On the sagecom router I'm already noticing a similar pattern.

3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 05:25:32
7 - Data rate: 896/13431
8 - Maximum data rate: 1128/13680
9 - Noise margin: 4.7/6.2

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm testing it now after putting the original OR faceplate back on and plusnet supplied ASDL filter, adsl cable and sagecom modem. So everything is the original kit now. If it drops again I will plug it into the test socket and see how that goes.

I've noticed the near and far SNR creeping up and down every now and then with my own router. Between 5 and 8 in each case. The sagecom router seems to show the upstream SNR at 4.7 as of last checking. The original problem was the line was put on a 3db SNR profile after being reasonable stable. I had some drops before but I ignored them because openreach were working near the cabinet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The line went down again early this morning. I've tested it now with my router, cabling and faceplate, then with the PN router using the standard issue microfilter, cabling and the openreach standard faceplate.

I can pretty sure equipment on this end is not at fault now, but I have now plugged the plusnet router into the test socket.

The line has gone to an upstream SNR of 9db now but downstream profile is still 6db. Could you try a 9db profile with no interleaving and a DLM reset just to see what will happen there? Unless you want to see if there's a difference plugged into the test socket, then I'll leave it for a day to see if it goes down again.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Anonymous,

I've tested your line this morning and I can see that the downstream SNR is currently set to 9 and that there haven't been any drops since earlier this morning. I should note that if you experienced a drop just now, that was most likely due to my testing and not a genuine drop in the connection.

As this is the case, I'd advise it best to stay in test socket for the time being and keep an eye out for any further drops, so that we can pick up our investigation again from there if needed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far so good. The line has been up for 24 hours now without any drops which is better than yesterday. I'm going to leave everything as it is plugged into the test socket for at least a few days to see if it can hold the connection continually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The line has now dropped connection again around 2PM. This happened when I was out so the connection wasn't in use at all when it dropped.

Just to give a little information, I had previously moved any electronics away from where the router is, even changing a CFL lightbulb just in case and turning off some electronics further away that were on just for convenience. I think if this EFI/RFI then it's not inside my property.

Previously 6db SNR was a stable setting but now it's not and the line is on 9db SNR and unstable. So maybe something changed recently.

I've attached some line stats collected by the router in case it's helpful with this problem. Router has been on for 2 days 8 hours.

If you think it's the right way to go I would be happy to try a 9db interleaved profile with a DLM reset.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Anonymous,

Previously it looks like interleaving and DLM have been set to 'off' off your line looking at your profile:

WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 9dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

If this is something you want to try it's an easy thing to set, but if we need to remove it it may not take effect until the following working day after it's placed on. 

Also interleaving increases latency so if you game it's worth taking this into consideration as it will hinder your experience. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I think there is just a fault on the line, but I have a feeling if openreach came out they would just run the same tests and say the line is OK again. I'm still not sure if openreach are charging me for the last visit having found no problem.

It's not something I would leave on really, I would just want to see if the line would stay stable with interleaving on. It's more to say that everything has been tried.

If you could go ahead and do that, it would be great. After that if the line goes down I'll just report it as fault.

Update: I now managed to get through to support who have made the changes for me, so there is no need to check that now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Support has turned interleaving on for me and I'm waiting for that to happen.

I'm just wondering now what can be done if it's not stable now, as that would be every possible thing covered now.

I've had similar issues on lines before that had noise problems where faults do not show up on tests but monitoring with the DSLstats program shows there are SNR spikes, drops, packet loss etc. The plusnet supplied 2704n router is not usable with that program, so I'm wondering if you're able to diagnose those kind of issues.

I'm also wondering what could be done in the case openreach are called out again, since doing 10 minutes of testing isn't likely to spot the issue as it's been tried already. Is there much they or yourselves can really do about faults that don't show up on tests? Or maybe just convince openreach there is an issue.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Potential REIN fault?

I have been having some problems with my line dropping sync and sometimes high errors on the line. Because the shorter 15 minute counter often didn't show much of a problem, I have suspected an intermittent noise issue on the line and neither plusnet or openreach have been able to find a problem.

I tried removing everything nearby and turning off other devices in my property but that didn't shown any improvement, so I tried with an AM radio at 612KHz as some ISPs and forums suggest doing. Today I noticed some noise in the general area of the router and master socket, which stops about half way across the room. The sound is more noticeable near the window, and near anything eletrical or metal even if it isn't powered or the power is switched off.

The area where I hear this noise is also at the edge of the building so I checked outside near the wall and found the sound occurs there too. This is a communal area to the property there are two lights which I think are on a mains timer but I will check this when it's dark. They have noise directly near them and on the mains cables. The flats here also have night storage heaters which I think are on mains timers.

When the engineer visited before his first reaction when I described the problem was it sounded like something was on a timer which is why I mention this. He reported that the line was perfect and didn't find any problems outside, near the cabinet etc.

I don't know if this is a rein issue or not because I'm not an expert but any advise or ideas would be appreciated.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Potential REIN fault?

The first thing is to hope that a Plusnet staffer comes along and lets us see a radius chart of your connection to see if there's any pattern such as the number and time of day of drops.

What you are hearing on your radio is quite possibly no more than radiated noise from the router power supply. I have a solar PV inverter and I can't use a MW radio on any frequency anywhere near it, but it doesn't  affect my router (about 12 feet and a single breeze block wall away) in any way. Using a radio is a very blunt tool to find the cause because if it's REIN then by it's description it is random and also you have no idea what the interference frequency spectrum might be..

Of course if the line is stable and it's the wireless that's dropping then that's a totally different issue.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Potential REIN fault?

Thanks for the reply. Since I've had ongoing issues I phoned support last night and their response was to put it back to the fault team who will monitor the line over the next few days. So it might be that they will notice some issues there. I should mention I tried also with no power on in the house at all so router was off etc. I'm sure this might not be a service affecting issue, but I suspect that noise originates with a neighbor since it's not always there. When that noise isn't there all I hear is a constant ringing, similarly on neighboring AM radio channels. I get some noise also on the phone where there is crackling at times eventhough it's mostly quiet. Before I noticed a 'tap tap tap' kind of sound on quiet line test but I haven't noticed that lately. Also there was an odd incident where I had my FM DAB radio on which I rarely do and an incoming call interrupted it when I answered (static sound), which went away when I hung up. I'm sure there are other explanations, but I do suspect something is up here. Another oddity of "when" my line drops was Saturday when it rained outside and also Sunday when it rained. I'm just now waiting to see if this always happens when it rains here. Support said if this is the problem then it might be part of the line is exposed. That would make some sense to me because I'm sure an exposed wire would pick up signals as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Latest update:

Line went down Saturday and then the following day on Sunday. Each time I noted that it was raining when this happened.

Line dropped on Saturday 23:24 (raining).

Line dropped on Sunday 19:07 (raining).

Support said they have put this through to the faults team for me who will watch the line in the coming days and call me back. So just waiting either for a call back or for it to start raining again and see if that's definitely part of my problem.

Also I have a performance issue with the line which is a new addition as well. Generally reaching certain sites (this one just for example) takes a very long time for no apparent reason, but specifically the bt wholesale speedtest shows speeds are under the 10Mbit speeds I should get.