cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable fast path

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enable fast path

Rewriting this post because some things have changed after I got through to support again.

Initially I went through support to get interleaving disabled, and they did that but I got a message saying interleaving has been enabled. Also my line profile had just upgraded somehow to 3DB downstream SNR profile. This is probably why interleaving got on in the first place, as the setting was not stable at all.

Originally then I came to the forum (hoping someone could intervene with the line profile) after the first time because support wasn't open, and I didn't know when I'd be able to get back to them.

So I got back to support again now and they changed it to 6DB SNR downstream profile with fast path for me and I have a confirmation email message for that. Hopefully that change happens soon, I will see how that goes.

198 REPLIES 198
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Enable fast path

Thanks for the update, I'd keep an eye on connection speeds and stability over the next few days and do let us know if you encounter any problems. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

The latest on this is that the 6db SNR margin profile is now active.

Update:

So far no fast path. If that was set at the same time, shouldn't it have activated with the new profile?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The latest on this is I tried a quiet line test on Monday and there was a faint crackling on the line, which dissapeared come evening. I tried this again today, and it's the same. In the afternoon there is noise on the line and in the evening the same noise isn't there that I can tell. I thought I heard it once during the morning but not for long enough to tell if it was actually crackling.

I don't know all the ins and outs of DLM. Maybe this is the reason interleaving came on? I tried to get interleaving turned off twice now and it didn't happen in the end eventhough support sent that through for me. I could easily have not noticed the line dropping during the day so could that be the reason DLM won't turn interleaving off?

This is just my guessing based on similar experiences in the past so maybe I'm wrong. Anyway support booked an engineer to come out tomorrow in the afternoon around the time this normally happens.

I've attached a screenshot of some line stats collected from the modem. I'm not sure what the acceptable range of FEC and CRC errors are but they look very high to me. Any feedback is appreciated.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

If I'm interpreting your stats correctly, there certainly is a high rate of errors overall, but the 15 minute sample shows very few.

This suggests the noise on the line is indeed intermittent, as confirmed by your quiet line tests.

Intermittent noise can be a pain to track down - make sure you show the engineer the router stats you have posted here if the fault fails to appear when he visits.

Good luck! Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, it confirms what I thought was going on there. After midnight it seemed to be less of a problem but around 1500 for 15 minutes.

I will do my best to explain clearly to the engineer but it looks like I'm in luck as the line is right now making some kind of 'tapping' noise on it and the engineer is due within the time I expect the noise to occur.

I took another sample that was spot on 15m so the results went into the '1DAY' column as that timer reset. And for luck some stats from the PN supplied sagecom modem, with a small difference that I could put down to my own modem syncing at slightly higher snr.

I would consider it too much tinkering usually but there seemes to be a fault anyway so I tried without my MK4 filtered faceplate and shielded cat5e adsl cable which I bought separate, and there were more errors in that case. I didn't bother keeping samples that time because there was an obvious difference over a 15 minute period.

Anyway thanks, and with any luck the visit will go well and the fault will be fixed without a charge.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear the connection didn't get moved onto fastpath, it would be best to wait for the engineer to do their stuff first before we take a look at that with you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be best to get the line properly checked before trying again as well. The engineers were looking just now, and said the phone line was absolutely perfect.

They then plugged in a test router and found that yes, there are some errors there that could accumulate into being an issue. He mentioned something about potentially it being with the exchange equipment if there is a problem, but didn't really specify if that was the case or if they would check the exchange equipment.

Now I think there is just an outside inspection going on and the engineer will let me know if they find anything interesting. They said they will send the results of the tests to you soon as well.

There is a second engineer testing at various parts in the nearby area since he apparently knows the area better than the engineer who came inside the property. Hopefully they will find the problem.

Update: The engineers have left now, I don't know if they are running more tests or have just called it a day. So I will give it until 4PM and if I haven't got any updates I'll try to request a complete DLM reset since it's stuck on interleaving and see how it goes from there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't heard back from the openreach engineers, so I can safely assume they're not working on the line now and that they didn't discover any further problems.

But based on the above post I am not convinced by this. The phone line passed the test, but the engineer mentioned that were errors on the modem test that could accumulate into a problem and also vaguely mentioned the exchange equipment as a possible cause of what I was hearing on the line.

I'm wondering if plusnet are able to see if openreach did check for issues at the exchange.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm afraid we haven't had the notes back from the engineer yet.

We'll update you as soon as we know more

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I won't worry about it until you have the notes then.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We've had the engineers notes back and they've advised that they weren't able to find any issues with the line.

I'm more than happy to remove interleaving from your line if that's okay with yourself?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you could do a DLM reset as well as disable interleaving that would be great. The last couple of times support tried disabling it for me, the settings didn't get applied.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us.

It looks like interleaving was set to permanent on your line rather than auto which may explain why other agents may have not been able to remove it as in this case we need to remove it by placing an order which I have done.

This will complete tomorrow and should also reset DLM at the same time.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for your help. Plusnet support have been quite good about helping with the problem and getting someone out to check the line. Hopefully the DLM reset will help.