Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not working

Tony_W
Grafter

Re: Email not working

Quote from: Jameseh
Where did you find the number?  Is it just something you've saved over time?

I have been with F9/Plusnet for 12 years and yes, I do write down important lifeline numbers. If PN's web site is not working, then a phone line is very useful. If connectivity goes down, how do you access  twitter, Community, Service Status, RSS feeds and emails etc.?
The service staus line IS a useful service...
Tony
James
Grafter

I honestly can't remember when we last updated it.
If we do have a major outage, we put a message on the main support number.  People will always calls that, so it's far more useful to do things that way.
gladman
Grafter

What on earth is going on? 
I have not been able to access email for five hours now and yet there is not the slightest hint on the status page that there are email problems.
It is surely time to tell us what is going on.
    BRG
James
Grafter

Hi - We have already said that there are email problems in the service status message?
Data Centre Outage (56915) - NEW
We are currently experiencing a routing problem affecting one of our core data centres in Sheffield.
This is causing problems for customers attempting to access our websites, their email accounts or their hosted webpages/FTP server space. It is also affecting access to internal systems for our support centre.

We're aware that a number of customers are having trouble using webmail or their email client, but things should be returning.
gladman
Grafter

Dear James,
I have an EMAIL problem - EMAIL is not working.  As far as I am aware all other services are (now) ok.
But when I look at the EMAIL status on your status page it indiciates that there are no problems with EMAIL!!!
I can assure you that from my point of view there are very serious problems with EMAIL!
A status page should surely refer to the issues that your customers are having, not the internal ones that you are having?
    Brian
James
Grafter

Brian,
Unless I'm drastically missing something, what I quoted above states that some of our customers may be having problems with their email.
I'm not sure how that relates to our internal mail issues?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

James,
I think he is referring to this and the link from the email bit
gladman
Grafter

James,
Look at your status page under the heading 'Email' - there are no reported problems.  But I AM having EMAIL problems.
The report you quoted was under 'Other', where you report an internal problem with a data centre.   I don''t much care about 'Other' but I do care about EMAIL.
When I try to access the email server, I reach the server but it rejects my account name and password.  In what way is this NOT an email problem?
The 'Other' 12:00 update is now 45 minutes late.
    Brian
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@gladman, our service status tool isn't the cleverest of beasts and you cannot change the status of the traffic lights without explicitly making a post under a particular category. When I made the post this morning the problem was affecting more than just email so it wouldn't have made sense to have posted it there. It's due to limitations with the tool itself that the email traffic light is green. Having said that I was under the impression that email should be fine so I'll take a look at your account now...
I'll also be updating the service status thread itself once I've finished my lunch Wink
Edit: Right I've checked the mailboxes on your account and can log into all of them without problem.
bpullen@pvs-csctools:~$ telnet mail.plus.net 110
Trying 212.159.8.81...
Connected to mail.plus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
user gladman
+OK Password required.
pass ********
+OK logged in.

Are you sure you're entering the right login credentials? How are you trying to access your mail?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gladman
Grafter

I am using imap with details that I haven't changed for years and I haven't had any issues until today.
But I have deleted my local account and added it again and it is now working.  I have no idea why it stopped working.
Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
    Brian
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Thunderbird?
I find that after network failures using IMAP Thunderbird occasionally loses passwords. Re-entering the password resolves it (I don't need to delete and re-add the account). I had to do that for a few mailboxes after this morning's episode.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Yet again a demonstration of why a service status website which is hosted outside of the Plusnet network is needed and which can be updated via a dialup connection when needed. If not that then as a minimum you should have a server in London which again can be updated even if all of Sheffield and/or the London/Sheffield link is down.

Don't worry Jelv - they are working on it:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/01/23/top-secret-new-service-status-project/
RSN...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The prototype page linked at the bottom of the post seems to be up to Plusnet's usual high standard! Crazy
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
knappettg
Dabbler

I can now get webmail using a PC - but my blackberry!
Blackberry has been down some time. Any reasons why?
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
Quote from: jelv
Yet again a demonstration of why a service status website which is hosted outside of the Plusnet network is needed and which can be updated via a dialup connection when needed. If not that then as a minimum you should have a server in London which again can be updated even if all of Sheffield and/or the London/Sheffield link is down.

Don't worry Jelv - they are working on it:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/01/23/top-secret-new-service-status-project/
RSN...

"We don’t have a date to go live with this yet - we’re probably looking at Q2 2007. So hopefully before mid-year!"
It's now near the end of Q2 2009 - they must be having a long lunch break  Wink