cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Plusnet inviting me to upgrade to fibre, but not as easy as it looks?

SkylineUK
Grafter

Email from Plusnet inviting me to upgrade to fibre, but not as easy as it looks?

The email from Plusnet saying I can upgrade to fibre looks inviting, albeit at £10 a month extra from what I'm paying now.  But Googling this type of service I understand I will need some sort of new hardware fitted?  FTTC?  One site said this an 'engineer install'.  What is really necessary to move up to FTTC Broadband?  I don't want to get myself in a pickle over equipment, etc.  At the moment what I've got works!
I have a NETGEAR N300 modem/router.
8 REPLIES 8
Method0ne
Grafter

Re: Email from Plusnet inviting me to upgrade to fibre, but not as easy as it looks?

Don't worry about it, if you upgrade then BT will come out and sort all the hardware side of it, you wont have to do anything except be at home when they turn up Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Re: Email from Plusnet inviting me to upgrade to fibre, but not as easy as it looks?

Not true BT only supply the modem Plusnet supply the router and this router may not meet the requirements of SkylineUK.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi SkylineUK,
When you request to update your account to a fibre connection we arrange a date and time that is convenient for you for your line to be converted from your current ADSL connection to a fibre to the cabinet style (FTTC) connection.  A BT engineer will:

• Convert your line externally so that your line will no longer connect to ADSL equipment within your local telephone exchange but will instead connect to a system within a green cabinet close to your premises which is fed by a fibre optic link to the exchange (Instead of the usual copper cabling.)

• Visit your premises to change your main BT socket to a filtered VDSL socket for use with the BT VDSL modem.  The engineers can also relocate the socket if required.

• Provide you with a BT VDSL modem to connect to your service.

We will then provide you with a compatible router which will connect to your BT VDSL modem and allow connectivity with 4 machines via an ethernet cable and wireless connectivity up to 150Mbps.  We provide a Netgear WNR1000v3 router at the moment for use with this style of connection.
If you have any further questions let us know! Smiley
SkylineUK
Grafter

Thanks Alex.  That all sounds like there are some once-off inital costs?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi SkylineUK,
There's no initial cost (it would be £50 but you already have your phone service with us Smiley ). Fibre comes with an 18 month contract though.
SkylineUK
Grafter

I had mailshot from Plusnet this morning re. fibre link and it got me wondering again whether to go for it.  The bit I'm unsure of this.
I'm typing this in my study on the second floor of my (Victorian) house.  I can see a cable attached to my house higher up and it goes across the road to a telegraph pole. I'm not sure of the route beween this PC and to where this cable is attached to the house, but I suspect it's an old covoluted route under carpets and floorboards.  How on earth is BT going to connect a fibre cable from their green box across the opposite side of the road (another road from the telegraph pole - I live on a corner) to my router here is this room?  Surely it will be a nightmare of Fred Carno cabling tacked along lots of skirting boards and carpet/floorboard damage?
I don't want to start the ball rolling on this and find on the day the BT engineer mackles up something totally unacceptable because his instruction will be to just get it in.
Undecided Cry
PS: I've also Googled FTTC and found quite a few complaints (various service providers) along the lines of "I opted for FTTC and hardly seen an improvement let alone that promised".
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi SkylineUK,
FTTC uses the existing copper to your house and they'll put the master socket either where it is now or anywhere up to 30m away. Also, to get the best speeds on fibre you may be better using homeplugs, as these use your ring main then that may negate the need for wires trailing everywhere.
Jojo Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have CTTP and I'm sticking with that.
I am very pleased with my speed, and with PlusNets' backup and Customer Service.
Fibre only offers a "potential" doubling of speed, for myself, and I am reticent to tie myself into an 18 month contract at the present time, with the uncertainty of any small or larger scale upgrades, which may or may not be happening soon, or later.
However, unlimited fibre without an 18 month contract at no extra cost, and no throttling of service at certain times of the day, may, just may,  persuade me to go down the fibre route.
Others seem to offer this at the moment. Just an impression I get.

Quick question...
With Fibre, why do I need an active phone line account, I am currently paying £10 pcm, with call charges of nil, I think I've use around £2.50 in call charges since I joined a year ago, June 2011 !