cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email contact aaddress

DavidHH
Grafter

Email contact aaddress

I set my contact address so that messages were sent to another ISP (seems logical as if I had a problem receiving email plusnet wouldn't be able to tell me about it), but I have just learned that an important message from Plusnet failed to reach me (probably deleted by a spam-killer), but I can't find where to change my contact address. Any suggestions, please?
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Email contact aaddress

you can add another address, but cannot change or delete the Postmaster one, that has to go to your PN mailbox
here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=update_details
mapletree
Grafter

Indeed.  You can't even change your postmaster address if your domain has all email blocked  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You should note that some messages are ONLY sent to the PN postmaster address.
mapletree
Grafter

Yes.  Which means I never see them.  Angry
Anotherone
Champion

Now I'm confused, why has your domain got all e-mail blocked?
PN mail to a PN address should not be removed by a "spam-killer". What "spam-killer" may you be referring to? Have you been to the member centre and looked at your settings under "Manage My Mail" ?
mapletree
Grafter

Owning to the webmail hack a few years ago my PN email addresses were compromised and now receive loads of spam.  PN gave me a new 'free' domain and switched off my original domain for email.  They still send some admin messages only to the postmaster address of the domain they switched off!
The OP mentioned a 'spam-killer', not me.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah right, my slight mis-understanding for reading too quick, my original comment was for the OP, who can still access his 'postmaster' mailbox.
To clarify, when you refer to your "original" domain, are you meaning  you@originalusername.plus.com ?
mapletree
Grafter

Yes.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I get my PN notes sent to postmaster@username.free-online.co.uk and to my anti spam box postmaster@username.me.uk, which I set up as detailed above, It can be and is by me done, and as I said you cannot switch of the one to your original sign up address
Anotherone
Champion

@mapletree
So are you still "originalusername" or "anotherusername" now?
mapletree
Grafter

I have a 'real' domain which I use instead of the <username>.plus.com one.
Anotherone
Champion

So you are still <originalusername> . Are you sure your username is blocked? If so, how? If it was done by PN then perhaps you should raise a ticket, because they should not be sending any mail to your <username> domain if you can't actually get it.
But first, I suggest you try the folloing if you haven't already. Login to the member centre. Go to the Email settings page, Manage My Mail Option, and then to the Spam tab.
Ensure Spam filtering is ON for your username domain, and that the Discard obvious Spam is OFF. I would suggest "Add [-SPAM] to the subject line" is selected, and then Move to Spam Folder is selected. Leave Aggressiveness as 1, and Antivirus Filtering is YES.
Return to the Summary Tab and check that your <username>@ exists as a default mailbox (you can rename this first bit on the maibox tab if you wish - I believe new accounts use firstname@username.plus.com). Also check that postmaster@ is set up as an alias for your default mailbox.
If there are any redirects set up to blackhole@abuse.plus.com for the default mailbox then delete them. Also make sure that Catch All for the Default Mailbox in your <username> domain is OFF.
Any changes you make can apparently take 30 mins or so to take effect, except turning Spam Filtering ON or OFF which can take upto 48 hours to take full effect. Assuming all that works, you could try logging into you default <username> mailbox by webmail. I think (& hope) you will be pleasantly surprised that the IronPort SPAM filtering is working quite well, far better than previous efforts. Ok I know some users are having difficulties, but these are generally related to certain specifics.
If none of that works, you could see if you could set up a redirect for postmaster@username.plus.com to a mailbox you can access, and ensure the rest of @username is blackholed.
Well, I hope that at least some of that may be of help.
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks for the long post 😉  I did spend quite a considerable amount of time trying to sort this out a long time ago and gave up.
At that time (and I don't think anything has changed) it was impossible to change the postmaster@<username>.plus.com to redirect it or alias to something I can use.  You can only select mailboxes in the <username> domain!
It may be possible, with Ironport, that I could reenable the <username> domain without being inundated with spam.
I rely on having the catch-all option ON and you can't set this per domain, only per mailbox.