cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email authentication - sporadic requests for password...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Email authentication - sporadic requests for password...

Are you still having problems Peter (or anybody else for that matter)? I've just tested your account and all seems in order.
220 relay.plus.net ESMTP Exim Sun, 07 Jun 2009 20:56:16 +0100
ehlo relay
250-pih-relay06.plus.net Hello relay [84.92.0.48]
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250 HELP
auth login
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
235 Authentication succeeded

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MarkRL

I have just started having this problem (using Thunderbird on an eee).  I have had to switch authentication off in order to send emails which is fine when I am at home connected to a PlusNet account but I suspect that this will not work when I am out and about.
A solution please!
Lawrence4404

Hello there,
I have just started having exactly the same problem as MarkRL - using SMTP authentication while on my home Plusnet connection, I am repeatedly asked for my account password and email sending eventually has to be cancelled, but then works when SMTP auth is disabled.
I am also using an Asus Eee 901 laptop with Eeebuntu 2.0 and Thunderbird.
Regards,
Larry W
pnuser
Grafter

Yup
Here as well.
Fine this morning but its got persistantly more insistant  Angry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ive been getting it on my home machine and Thunderbird for several weeks, and I have got the password remembered, OE is ok though, Thunderbird was updated recently, but I would doubt that the EeePc has been, not pulled mine out recently, will have to charge it up and try
James
Grafter

Thanks guys.  We'll pick it up in the morning Smiley
Thanks for highlighting the issue though.
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, it is still happening this morning so what is being picked up? I also cannot get into webmail and I'm getting this "ERROR: : Connection dropped by IMAP server" I assume this is because it is overloaded?
Chris

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

There are problems with some of the Sheffield based stuff, so that could be why you are having your IMAP error.
As for the authentication probably meant it will start to be looked at this morning, not fixed..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
cuke2u
Grafter

Hi, I hope that is soon as I cannot access e-mail by any method, pop3 or webmail at all.
Cheers,
Chris
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: cuke2u
I also cannot get into webmail and I'm getting this "ERROR: : Connection dropped by IMAP server"

I'm getting this today on webmail and I keep getting the password rejected for downloading mail.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all the PN  portal has been dead for a while, the password bit is still probably just catching up, OE is now working but Thunderbird isnt, will try later and not enter passwords yet
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Passwords are working for downloading now but I'm still getting the error message for webmail. No matter! I only check it to make sure nothing important has been caught by the spam filter and that hasn't happened for ages now.
Tigger
Rising Star

Had a screen pop up three times in the last 30 mins asking me for my password when Outlook tries to check my mail. Works fine when I click OK, and when I collect manually, but annoying.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Jameseh
It may or may not be related, but one of our mail servers was refusing connections earlier.  It's one of 20 odd, so shouldn't really cause any issues.

Quote from: Bob
Nothing overly conclusive but the following graphing polls a single account every 600 seconds or so and that hasn't reported any failures over recent days. I've checked the response graphs for the collection servers and they seem OK but wouldn't really be indicative of widespread authentication failures. It would help if you could make a note of the time each failure happened and what mailbox it affected as we might be able to ascertain something from the server logs.

How do you know that that graph test isn't hitting the same server every time? In an extreme case there could be 19 broken servers and your graph could still show that everything is tickety boo. Surely you should be running one graph for each server using the internal IP and not going through the load balancers, plus a graph on the outside of the load balances to monitor their performance.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Mail has asked me for my passwords again but it seems to be OK most of the time. Webmail still isn't working but I've just had a Service Status email saying:
"We are currently experiencing a routing problem affecting one of our core data centres in Sheffield.
This is causing problems for customers attempting to access our websites, their email accounts or their hosted webpages/FTP server space. It is also affecting access to internal systems for our support centre.
Internet connectivity and DNS should not be affected.
Our engineers are onsite working to restore service and further details will be provided as they become available.
Sorry for any problems this is causing you.