Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email -SPam and Blackhole

Vampy

Email -SPam and Blackhole

Hi
Some questions.
1. Can someone tell me please, why spam sent to an address which is Blackholed still gets through? I thought if the spam filter missed it it would then get canned by the redirect  Huh
2. Why do the redirects  not work before the spam filter, so that this does not happen?
The redirects i have to the blackhole never seem to work. If its marked as spam its put in spam folder, fine i suppose but not perfect, or they are passed by the filters and dropped in the inbox.
Cheers
Greig

6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Email -SPam and Blackhole

I've just sent an email to one of the mailboxes you have blackholed and this has not appeared in your main mailbox.
Looking at the way you have your mailboxes set up there may be an easier way to get the same effect.
Rather than redirecting all the addresses on to blackhole@abuse.plus.com you could turn the catch all off and set up new aliases for the addresses you WANT to keep. This will mean that any emails not addressed to your default mailbox or one of the aliases will not be delivered to you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Vampy

Chris
Thanks for the reply.
This is still happening. One in particular, but all or most over the past few weeks. I sent two a few minutes apart and both got through. What is the order for dealing with spam and blackhole redirects?
I understand about the catch all but i need it on because of some of the "legitamate" emails use spammed adresses and i need to tell people and companies some new ones and create the boxes as appropriate. I need to spend some time doing this, and as yes, i cannot get any!!!
Thanks again
Greig
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Greig,
Take a look at the headers. In particular take a look at the To: and Envelope To: fields.
Envelope To: is where the email truly got delivered to. Sometimes it can be confusing if you're looking at the To: field!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Vampy

Hi Bob
Envelope To:Checked. As i sent them i knew what they were going to say.
They are all the same. I sent a few more and they all got here. It is correct that they dont get caught by the spam filter in this case, but why does the blackhole not work?
Cheers
Greig
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Greig,
It would help in this case if I knew the address you were sending to and could see a copy of the headers of one of the emails that was received when it shouldn't have been.
Feel free to PM me the details and I'll take a look.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Vampy

Hi
Thanks again for the reply, PM sent
Greig