Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Education time for an oldie...router's log entries

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Education time for an oldie...router's log entries

In Routerstats' report of the Router's log there are roughly hourly entries
"SNTP synchronized to server followed by IP address.
Can someone explain their significance :), please?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
5 REPLIES 5
scootie
Grafter

Re: Education time for an oldie...router's log entries

Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) . basicaly your router is getting the time
scootie
Grafter

here is where i set that up on my zyxel (no ip added as i dont use it any more as this zyxel seems to mess the time in the logs up that get sent out by email)
list of uk ntp servers here http://www.timetools.co.uk/ntp-servers/ref/ntp-server-uk.htm
Luzern
Hero

Thanks! Smiley
I also have noticed the time shown is an hour behind (i.e GMT not BST). Server address 212.169.6.x
Is that standard: if not is it amendable in ST585v7?
Don't recall seeing anything in setup about it.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: lucerne
I also have noticed the time shown is an hour behind (i.e GMT not BST). Server address 212.169.6.x

Strictly I think you'll find it is Universal Time, not GMT - all time servers around the world issue that so it doesn't matter which you use. The device asking for the time has to then know it's offset from that universal time at is current location.
Using a time server as close as possible to your connection to the internet is best, so using the ntp server 212.159.13.49 (a number that should be familiar to you!) is a good bet.
Alternatively, if you find the settings and can specify the ntp server by name use ntp.plus.net.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: jelv
...Strictly I think you'll find it is Universal Time, not GMT ,,,,, (a number that should be familiar to you!) is a good bet.
Oldies like me don't believe in those new fangled times, and men have not gone to the moon. Wink and, yes, the IP addy should have been familiar. Zee leetel grey cells were, 'ow you say eet, in zee couch. Grin
Thanks for everyone's patience