Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMail Delays

mike142sl
Dabbler

Re: EMail Delays

Well just to add my voice.
I also use 123 reg to forward mail to my plus net address AND to my work address. I noticed on Friday that several emails I had received during the day at work had not arrived at home. I raised a ticket and a response yesterday that it had been sorted. However on returning to work this morning I find several emails from Sat and Sunday that had not arrived at home, with a strange exception of 2 emails? I've updated my ticket so hopefully things will move on. I have also forwarded the emails from work which is not 123 reg so it will be interesting to see if they arrive at home.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Kwak
Well ok but .. that's a bit naff on PNs part : 123-reg (and their like) must be forwarding **shedloads** of valid email per day to them, as that's what
they DO, and surely PN must be aware of that. To quota them is just going to .. well I can't believe I'll be the only one affected.
I'm personally certainly not receiving enough mail to warrant a quota, and an ISP this size will have loads of 123 reg people!

Whilst I understand where you're coming from you have to ask yourself what has changed at 123-reg's side? We've made no changes to the thresholds on the IronPort anti-spam appliances so something has happened to result in the existing limits being exceeded.
The fact the test from yesterday, 30 hours ago, hasn't arrived worries me as to missing emails COMPLETELY
not just delays.

If you haven't done already then I would disable the 'Discard Obvious Spam' feature in the Member Centre.
Quote from: woldsend
Edit Again : Does anyone know if it would help to whitelist my 123-reg email address ? (just a thought)

If my understanding is correct then it won't make any difference (feel free to give it a try though). The whitelisting is only applicable for email that the IronPort boxes accept at SMTP level. Turning spam filtering off and waiting 24 hours or so would get around the problem but that would leave you without any spam protection (unless uk-reg have filtering at their side).
Quote from: nairnster
I have raised tickets with both plusnet - who say its 123-reg's fault and 123-reg who seem to have muppetts on at the weekend - I am hoping today Monday will get things sorted.

I have raised an internal problem to look at the possibility of changing the spam policy for email originating from uk-reg's servers (ref: 56766). I'll post back here as soon as I have an update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Kwak
Rising Star

Bob:
"Whilst I understand where you're coming from you have to ask yourself what has changed at 123-reg's side? We've made no changes to the thresholds on the IronPort anti-spam appliances so something has happened to result in the existing limits being exceeded."
Bob look at this from my/our point of view. 123 reg were a bit patchy years ago but last couple years have been rock solid for me anyway. Since thursday last week all of a sudden we're getting very delayed emails, and completely missed emails. But the thing is they are NOT just disappearing into a void. 123 reg are giving us an error, and the error is quite clear: That 123 reg are connecting to plusnet fine, and then plusnet are telling 123 reg to go away as they're not going to accept our emails!
Last night I sent 4 emails:
1 Arrived reasonably fast.
1 Arrived a few hours later
1 Gave me  host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.2.97]: 452 Too many recipients received this hour
1 Gave me  Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
                     host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.2.65]: 421 #4.4.5 Too many connections from your host.
and these last 2 haven't arrived. My test email from saturday, 46 hours ago, hasn''t arrived. God knows what else hasn't arrived.
To me anyway, from the evidence given to me, the spanner in the works is clearly at plusnet, and it's not just me suffering from it.
You can understand this is frustrating with PN saying the problem is elsewhere: as this is dragging on and on we have a
useless email service! That's 5 days now of this problem Sad
James
Grafter

Hi Kwak,
If you look at Bob's earlier response, he's also said that we've raised an internal problem to investigate why this is happening.
We do understand that this is causing a problem for you and I can assure you that we are taking this seriously.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To me anyway, from the evidence given to me, the spanner in the works is clearly at plusnet, and it's not just me suffering from it.
You can understand this is frustrating with PN saying the problem is elsewhere: as this is dragging on and on we have a
useless email service! That's 5 days now of this problem Sad

I'm not saying the problem is elsewhere although I recognise that you've been told this by some of our support staff (whom I've since had a word with so they know not to make the same mistake in the future).
We know exactly what needs to be done to resolve the issue, all I was pointing out is that some variable somewhere must have changed in order for the spam policies to start getting triggered all of a sudden.
Anyway, we've altered the spam policy for mailex.atlas.pipex.net so I'd appreciate it if you could give things another go and let me know how you get on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RustyNetworks
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Kwak,
If you look at Bob's earlier response, he's also said that we've raised an internal problem to investigate why this is happening.
We do understand that this is causing a problem for you and I can assure you that we are taking this seriously.

Hey Guys
We are indeed taking this seriously - i have already created and applied policies to allow mail through on a less restricted basis.
Please appreciate what is actually happening - or could happen. 1 random user could be hammering our ironports through mail server mailbla.bla.com.
So to protect service the ironport will apply policies triggered - in this case a max amount of mail from a host with a neutral score was triggered.
Thus effecting all users who use  mailbla.bla.com
Please test guys and let me know of any other servers- so far ive added:
russell@Russ-Martin:~$ host 194.154.164.64
64.164.154.194.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mailex.atlas.pipex.net.
http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/detailip?search_string=194.154.164.64
laters
Russ
Kwak
Rising Star

Ok, sorry Bob but it was a bit frustrating being told nothing was wrong when it clearly was Undecided
But that's it, the change worked, and I have received email going as
far back as Friday. My test emails just plopped in as well, so it's looking good,
which is a relief as I'm less worried I'd be losing stuff.
I'm guessing the other guys will get a pile now as well.
Oh they are STILL coming, I'm getting MORE emails from Friday, and yes I was right I was
missing a number of emails, friday WAS too quiet. The dam has been unblocked.
[EDIT]  Email from thursday just arrived!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad that things are looking better! Smiley
Give me a nudge if you have any more problems over the coming days.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

nairnster

Hi
I have now started to see backed up email to my main email address coming through but still no emails since Thursday for my other email box.
axxxxxxx@nairnster.plus.com
Russ said:
Please test guys and let me know of any other servers- so far ive added:
russell@Russ-Martin:~$ host 194.154.164.64
64.164.154.194.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mailex.atlas.pipex.net.
I'm afraid I dont what details I need to provide to give you this info. The emails are being forwarded from nairne.biz domain

James Nairne
RustyNetworks
Dabbler

Hi James
I need to know the IP address of the server sending email to the the plusnet ironports. Sounds like the mail is being de-queued but still hitting limits
Normally the sending server will be shown in your email headers from mail already received, if you can paste those we will be able to spot the origin.
jim:quote
mike142sl
Dabbler

Just checked at home and have suddenly received loads of emails originally sent from last Thu, so it must be working again.
Thanks chaps.
woldsend
Dabbler

All my mail seems to be from the same server
Received: from mailex.atlas.pipex.net ([194.154.164.64])
(Maybe they only have one !!!)
Mike
nairnster

Quote from: RustyNetworks
I need to know the IP address of the server sending email to the the plusnet ironports. Sounds like the mail is being de-queued but still hitting limits
Normally the sending server will be shown in your email headers from mail already received, if you can paste those we will be able to spot the origin.

okay I think thse are the bits of info you need:
Received: from mailex.atlas.pipex.net ([194.154.164.64])
    by mx.ptn-ipin02.plus.net with ESMTP; 26 May 2009 16:40:53 +0100
Received: from mail-gx0-f158.google.com ([209.85.217.158])
    by mail6.atlas.pipex.net with esmtp (Exim 4.63)
Kwak
Rising Star

Skimming back over some random emails over last few months certainly it seems largely favoured to
.64 at least recently, but I certainly also see a smaller number of
Can't  see a 63 at all in random sample but wouldn't be that surprised if exists. I certainly see a .61  today
and last few days, so yes certainly still in use, so it's fair guess .62 likely is when there's a
need for it?
This goes back to last year, when they seem to be on a different range not apparently used now.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can't  see a 63 at all in random sample but wouldn't be that surprised if exists. I certainly see a .61  today
and last few days, so yes certainly still in use, so it's fair guess .62 likely is when there's a
need for it?

Doesn't look like there is a 63:
C:\Users\Bobby>nslookup 194.154.164.63
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.1.254
*** dsldevice.lan can't find 194.154.164.63: Non-existent domain

I'll ask Russ to change the policy for the other two hosts tomorrow.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team