cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dyndns on N150 Netgear router abusive emails and someone is getting a kick back!

amadeus422

Dyndns on N150 Netgear router abusive emails and someone is getting a kick back!

So, after getting fibre and thinking I'll just set up my DYNDNS account on this new Netgear 150...........I get an e-mail from DYNDNS saying I have sent abusive, when I look at the output from this N150 it send’s constant login info all the time not just once as my old router used to do.
Then DynDNS want to sell you an upgrade it is now not a free service, So I have a account call “Pro” and away we go.......NO cos it still does it! And I’m still banned Great!!
So off we go to Netgear.......I say can we stop this as I need to get remote access for my IP cams....NO because the firmware on the “Plusnet N150” is Plusnets!! Not yours.......Oh, Can I have the use of another DYNDNS provider like DtDNS..........not allowed like you used to !!
This is starting to smell a bit that someone is getting a kick back on this deal,
1. Your not allowed to use anyone other than DYNDNS on the N150,
2. They DYNDNS want money
3. Plusnet Frimware in the N150 will stuff you on this area
4. Report it to Plusnet...........I’ll pass it on ...........nothing!!
Is it time to dump this router and buy my own one anyone else had this!
Embarrassed
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Dyndns on N150 Netgear router abusive emails and someone is getting a kick back!

Not come across this before. I've just configured DynDNS on my own WNR1000v3 to see if the same thing happens ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Dyndns on N150 Netgear router abusive emails and someone is getting a kick back!

Well I've not had an email from DYNDNS. Just checked my router logs and whilst they only go back to around 4am this morning, there's only been a single DYNDNS registration.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

amadeus422

Well I now have had to stop using the N150 you sent as you can't as you know be allowed to use your own service provider on this router when you have been using this service for a long time DYNDNS think Hey, lets see if we can get some moeny here! The thing is Plusnet dont get any!! (I hope)
I think this deal is between Netgear and DYNDNS in setting up this problem in the N150, Why could you not allow any other FREE provider in this router in the drop down you used to on netgear?
I think as not many people use this service, the spec in your own firmware was forgotten. If you allowed another player like DtYDNS we could get around this.
As it is I now have had to put in another router so I can use this service without hassle of A) being cut off by DYNDNS as you can see
B) When I'm away I can contact my security cameras to check my place over. I cant do this is the N150 has some bug in it that allows a prompt to pay 20$!!  or else
I have a lot of these "registration" fail e-mails this is because your router has been deemed an Abusive" sender.........All I can do is put in my user name and password on this device "IT" does the rest there ARE no other settings............So who is having who over here!!! If it is not me doing it and Plusnet are not up to anything it is either a fault in the firmware or  scam to make money!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I used to use DynDNS and had a similar problem with a cheap Safecom router, my solution at the time was to download the DynDNS Windows software and run that on my laptop, the only downside to this was the laptop had to remain on to update chages of the IP address.
The other solution, which I use now, is to get a static IP address (this may depend on your account type).
I don't know if other free providors supply software solutions but worth checking.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
amadeus422

Thanks for that...................
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Why not just get a static IP address? Only costs a one-off £5, and no need for any dynamic IP address services.