cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping line and slow speed

kouya
Dabbler

Dropping line and slow speed

Just for the record, I'm plugged into the master socket, I've tried a number of filters and my modem (Netgear d834G) has up to date firmware!
When I first connected to plusnet (a week ago) the speed was excellent and I didn't even bother checking things. Then two days ago, the line started dropping and taking ages to connect and when it did connect the line speed was very low. Yesterday, we were back to about 1Mb, which is not amazing, but adequate. Then last night, the line dropped for at least two hours (I went to bed before it came back). This morning my speed (Firefox broadband speed add on) is 134kb. I've tried the BT test, but it won't run.
The stats I can find on my router are:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1344 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 15 db
Noise Margin 9 db 18 db
Any ideas folks? PlusNet said that it was because the BT line was just adapting to my usage, but this does not explain why the line speed dropped so much. They also told me to keep my router connected, which was rather unhelpful given that the only reason it gets disconnected is when the line drops.
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Dropping line and slow speed

For the BT Test try this link which seems more reliable http://217.35.209.142/
Notwithstanding that you have a fault somewhere as that attenuation and noise margin should give much better speeds. When you first connected it would have been with a 6dB noise margin which has now increased automatically to 9dB to improve stability but this will reduce the speed.
The problem is that within the 10 day training period BT won't accept a speed fault. I am not sure about a connection fault.
I suggest raising a fault report for a connection problem not a speed problem but before doing that check the following.
First try the quiet line test- dial 17070 option 2 and if there is noise on the line report it as a phone fault to your phone line supplier - try it with the router disconnected and with a wired phone.
The second thing to try is to remove the lower part of the master socket and connect only the router - then report back the results
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/test_socket.shtml
kouya
Dabbler

Thanks Jim. That BT test link still won't run, which is frustrating. There is no obvious noise on the line. I tried running only the router for a while last night and it didn't make a difference - but I can't leave the phone unplugged all the time as I need it for work.  Though I've only been using the broadband for a week, its been connected for longer than that - I was on the road when the line finally came live. I'll report a bad connection and see what happens.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you tried the test socket without anything connected.
Are you using a long extension to the router
We need the router stats when connected to the test socket with nothing else connected to rule out everything on your property. Only needs to be long enough time to get the stats then you can reconnect everything again
kouya
Dabbler

These are the stats for router only in the master socket. Slightly worse than with a phone connected! I'm running on a very short lead from the router to the socket - about a foot.
Connection Speed  800 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 8 db 18 db
Thanks Jim
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I would include those details in your ticket.
Something is very badly wrong with the connection.
As a final check can you beg or borrow another router to see if it is the same
scootie
Grafter

like oldjim says see what stats your router reports when connected to the test socket only takes a few mins to do this so your phone will not be off to long.
untill yestarday i have had a sync speed problem and thanks to oldjim posting very simlar router stats to mine bar the sync speed i did a few tests with setups on the test socket even thoe i have no extensions and got a sync speed increase from 2720 to 4000 both at 12 db snr which leads us to belive a fault with the contacts on the face plate.
could'nt resisst tweaking my snr oldjim set it to down to 6db and getting 4288. set it to this last night and its stayed connected over night which is a good sign as when ive set at 6db before it would allways resync overnight.
kouya
Dabbler

The last set of stats are for the master socket with nothing connected. I'll try and get hold of a new router on Monday, there is probably one I can borrow from work.
Thanks guys.
kouya
Dabbler

A bit more. I took the faceplate off the master socket (which was put in before the double glazing - and the face plate is pinned in place by a length of UPVC, making removal a pain). Plugging into the faceplate with the faceplate hanging on by wires and not plugged in gave me a sync speed of 3300 - though BT kept the speed throttled to 128kb. This stayed stable all evening. This morning, I was looking at the stats on my router and saw this, just before the line dropped:
Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483646 db 16 db
I suspect that noise would be enough to make things hang up! I could certainly hear crackles on the line. The connection would re-establish every minute or so, then the noise level would leap up and the thing drop. This went on for the half hour I could spare to look at it before heading off to work for a while. Now, things are like this:

Connection Speed 2464 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 9 db 21 db
With no audible noise on the line (download speed is still 128).
Nothing was changed or added at my end during this time, so I don't know if I'm the cause of the noise. Also, the master socket faceplate is still off. Should I get a dial tone from the socket inside the master? Cause I don't.
Thanks for advice and help.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not sure what you are describing here.
When you say you took the faceplate off the master socket was it this bit shown held in the fingers

and when you say you plugged into the faceplate hanging by wires and not plugged in were you plugged into the socket marked with the arrow or the part in the fingers.
If there are wires attached to the part in the fingers then there is extension wiring in your house which is messing things up.
Last point - with the phone plugged into the socket with an arrow you should get a dial tone.
Finally.
If you are plugged into the part held in the fingers with it hanging by wires and not into the plug behind this isn't the master socket.
I would therefore have a look round the house as it would appear that the line comes in somewhere else and there is a botched extension to the faceplate
kouya
Dabbler

There is no dial tone on the test socket where you red arrow is showing. The wires from the wall come straight into the faceplate in your fingers. It seems to me that this wiring is not as it should be! I'm currently plugged into the socket in your fingers (on the grounds of there being now dial tone on the other). Should I get BT out? or should I just get a new socket and rewire it myself?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just edited my response
But to repeat what you have is not a master socket.
Either it is a totally botched job or there is another master socket somewhere in the property to which this is connected. Can you trace the wires from the BT feed into the property
kouya
Dabbler

What looks like the BT feed comes into the house at the front - which makes sense - and feeds into a socket with a decorative metal faceplate. This has two wires coming into connections which look like 'domino' connection blocks - small screw terminals. There is a two core wire coming from outside and another wire with two twisted pairs heading up the wall somewhere.
The second socket is the one that looks like a master socket and is at the back of the house, upstairs. This has a double twisted wire pair coming in - could well be the same pair that comes out of the other socket. It also has a couple of splitters on the front driving extension leads in two other rooms.
My thoughts are to disconnect the wires that look as though they are running the extension and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks Jim.
EDIT: I've disconnected the spare set of wires and put my router onto what I am guessing is the Master Socket even if it is an old one. The connection now looks like this:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 3456 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 52 db 15 db
Noise Margin 9 db 21 db
Which is acceptable - but let's see if it stays stable.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Now that is much more what one would expect
kouya
Dabbler

Four hours later and the downstream speed is less thatn 50% of what it was:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 1664 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 52 db 15 db
Noise Margin 10 db 21 db
I've not changed anything at this end - any ideas?