cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped connections, questions on improving, etc.

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Dropped connections, questions on improving, etc.

Morning all
Have been on PN for two weeks, during that time I've seemingly suffered with dropped/lost connections more than I'd like to see.
Initially I blamed my old Origo ASR8400 router, which had been happily sat running my old fixed 2Mb connection for years.  I then put in place a reflashed Homehub 1 thinking the Origo was unable to deal with the higher line speed.  That too continued to drop connection randomly, sometimes not even allowing me to reconnect for a good few minutes.
Reading around the 2wire HGV2700 seems to be a good choice on noisy/long lines, so purchased one of those.  Was still sealed up, so should be no issue with it (I hope).
That is now wired into the the main socket where the line comes into house, should be noted that its an old install with a T in the corner of the faceplate and no test socket behind.
With the Homehub I was able to use Routerstats Lite to monitor both connection speed and snr, but for some reason I can't get it to work with the HGV 2700, unsure if its caused by the version 6 BT firmware.
Is there anything else I can do to improve matters should things not improve and if the connection holds can I restart the 10 days training period?
Thanks in advance
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
28 REPLIES 28
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Dropped connections, questions on improving, etc.

Hi vultura,
I would certainly raise a fault after looking at your connection logs.
Jojo Smiley
vultura
Rising Star

Thanks for reply JoJo
Have raised a fault ticket, giving info as best I can.
A few of those disconnections will have been me resetting router or installing different one, filters, etc, but those would occur around 9am or after 7pm at night during the week.
Will be interesting to see how the HGV2700 works out.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The most important thing is that you're connected to the test socket and have tried an alternate filter.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: Joanne
connected to the test socket and have tried an alternate filter.

No test socket sadly, as stated its quite an old install.  Router is connected to a different filter to normal, both BT supplied ones with rat tail.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can't say fairer than that. We'll just have to see what the faults team think.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

With the Homehub I was able to use Routerstats Lite to monitor both connection speed and snr, but for some reason I can't get it to work with the HGV 2700, unsure if its caused by the version 6 BT firmware.

I have the same router with V6 software and it works with routerstats, what in particular isn't working?
vultura
Rising Star

It just won't work, just gives "error" when I try to start it.
Have tried different HGV2700 models/options from list, but no joy.  Using version 6.9 of routerstats lite, if that makes any difference.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I just noticed there is a version been released in may this year so I must be using an older version. I will check tonight when I get home.
vultura
Rising Star

Thanks AverageWhiteBloke
On the routerstats site it lists the 2700 with BT 6.x.x.x firmware, but the 6.9 software doesn't.

Thought I should post up copy of the router stats since I rebooted it this morning, just for the record as it were.
Current DSL Connection:
Down Up
Rate: 3511 kbs 445 kbs
Max Rate: 3511 kbs 952 kbs
Noise Margin: 11.2 dB 21.3 dB
Attenuation: 41.9 dB 24.4 dB
Output Power: 18.9 dBm 12.3 dBm
Protocol: G.DMT2 Annex A
Channel: Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor Information Country: {46336} Vendor: {IFTN} Specific: {48753 }
ATM PVC: 0/38
Rate Cap: 3511 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz: 41.9 dB
Uncanceled Echo: -22.1 dB Ok
VCXO Frequency Offset: -2.4 ppm Ok
Final Receive Gain: 20.5 dB Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 0 Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
Traffic Statistics
IP Traffic Bytes Packets Errors %
Transmit: 27064280 193812 0 0
Receive: 44513639 207575 0 0
ATM Traffic Cells Errors %
Transmit: 2447868 0 0
Receive: 3259099 0 0
DSL Link Errors
Collected for 10:16:34
Since Current Current Time Since
Reset 24-hr int. 15-min int. Last Event
ATM
Last Event
Cell Header Errors 513 513 0 1:02:14
Loss of cell Delineation 323 323 0 1:02:14
DSL
Link Retrains: 1 1 0 5:59:02
DSL Training Errors: 2 2 0 5:58:37
Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Framing Failures: 2 2 0 5:59:02
Loss of Signal Failures: 2 2 0 5:59:02
Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Margin Failures: 2 2 0 5:59:02
Cum. Seconds w/Errors: 99 99 0 1:02:14
Cum. Sec. w/Severe Errors: 6 6 0 5:25:20
Corrected Blocks: 15746 15746 3 0:00:14
Uncorrectable Blocks: 530 530 0 1:02:14
DSL Unavailable Seconds: 59 59 0 5:58:05
I am guessing the drop/reconnect was due to someone at PN/BT running some kind of test.....
Noticed the sync rate is a little higher than it was this morning.
vultura
Rising Star

Thought I should post up stats collected so far.
Just noticed how awkward the straight text one are to read so took screenshot instead, see atttached.
Have managed to get full routerstats working, but it bogs down the PC I run it on and not sure I trust what its telling me 100%.
hadden
Grafter

I've found full Routerstats useful for other routers, but for the 2700HGV, RouerStats doesn't tell much.
However I did find the 2700HGV's own Training History page much more useful at spotting trends.
vultura
Rising Star

Lost connection around 4am this morning, from routers own info it looks like the DSL dropped, when sync occurred it dropped by 500k approx.  Pulled the DSL cable this morning around 9am to force a sync and its back  to 3500 approx.
@JohnJ  Thanks for feedback, using full as I couldn't get lite to work.  Have it configured to capture up/down SNR and sync speeds.
vultura
Rising Star

Whilst checking my email late yesterday I found an automated email form PN stating they had asked supplier to turn on interleaving, the email was timestamped shortly before the 4am disconnection.
Thought the router info showed the connection was interleaved already, but I might be wrong.
Whatever has happened the router is now showing a lot less errors, please see attached for comparison.  First image is stats taken 17/6 router having been on 2.5 days approx, 2nd one take today after I reset stats yesterday.
Third image is training stats page from router, maybe JohnJ or someone can help me decipher what that all means.....
Am I correct in thinking the training stats is showing the connection as ADSL2 ?  If so shouldn't it be quicker than speeds I am seeing?

hadden
Grafter

This user guide isn't the BT version, but the information about the Training History explains what the columns and some of the abbreviations mean.
I only have ADSL1, and the only error code I have seen in common with yours is the ERR_LOS_LIMIT, when there has been some event to cause a loss of the ADSL connection.
My experience is only what I have observed, or picked up on this forum or elsewhere. However, I have also noticed the the max2/max3 figure is one to watch if you are considering resetting the ppp connection. This figure will give a reasonable indication of what your connection speed would be if you carried out the reset at that moment. For me, that figure changes during the day and, if you watch it at intervals, it confirms why resetting the connection during the forenoon is ideal. Try to time a manual reset for when that figure is maximum.
I am guessing here, but on 17/06/11 about 03:27 your connection reset. I wonder if that may have because the BT DLM may have decided to try dropping your SNR down to 9dB?
After a connection reset, it looks like the router attempts to connect with ADSL2+, fails and falls back to ADSL2.
As an aside, maybe ADSL2 isn't best for you. I found last year that a could get a stable ~4600kbps on ADSL1 and an unstable ~3600kbps on ADSL2.