cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped Connections That Require Router Restart

jthorniley

Dropped Connections That Require Router Restart

Hi Everyone,
Thought I would post here to pick your brains first before going through the official channels...
I joined plusnet about 2 months ago and all was fine but I then went on holiday for a week and on arriving home my connection seems to drop every day.
When dropped I cannot access the internet until I restart my router (TP-LINK N600 TD-W8980). It seems to drop either overnight or during the day as when I return home from work I always have to restart.
I can see the network on my devices by cannot connect (until a restart).
This applies to both wireless and LAN connections - I have a Bose SoundTouch on LAN and although it can see the network it can't function. Likewise with my NAS drive which is also connected via LAN.
My router stats as follows:
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus
Annex Type:Annex A/L
                              Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)  976                 9388
Max Rate (Kbps)       980                 9392
SNR Margin (dB)       6.6                 6
Line Attenuation (dB) 21.4         42
Errors (Pkts)                 0              0
As previously said I've had zero problems in same flat during my first 2 months with plusnet and 2.5 years with my previous ISP.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
James
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Dropped Connections That Require Router Restart

Hi James,
Welcome to the forums.
To clarify the problem - when it happens, can you access the router admin interface?  What lights are showing on the router?  Is it on the latest firmware?
If you can access the router - go check the PPP session state and system logs to see what state it is reporting - is xDSL up?  What error messages are there.
If you cannot access the router, then it is clearly sulking - go look for an updated firmware.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jthorniley

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I know that all the normal lights are showing on the router but have not tried to access the admin interface - will have to wait for the next time for this step!
I will look into the firmware.
So you think this is probably a router issue and not a plusnet one?
James
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

James,
Until there is objective information, I'm not going to make a call.
Hopefully the router's log (if you can get into it) will indicate what is happening.  If you cannot get into the router, then one has to conclude it is sulking.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.