Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in speed !

waynem
Grafter

Drop in speed !

Hi
over the past couple of days i have had to unplug my router more than a couple of times during a 24 hr period , i have also noticed that my speed  seems to have dropped , after reading up i realise that i may have caused this  due to me switching my modem/router on an off  i understand that this maybe misread by the exchange as there being fault,
so my question is " is there a way to reset it and start again" .as tomorrow i will have to switch off again  to replace my old moden/router with one i have just purchased .
Thanks in advance
wayne  Smiley
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Drop in speed !

Go in to the router interface and tell it to disconnect, once it has done so it is safe to power it off. If you do that once you will be OK.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
waynem
Grafter

Thanks Jelv
But looking at the router interface there doesnt seem to be the option to disconnect  Sad router is Belkin F5D8633-4 .
will my speed start to go up again or will it still have to be reset ? ,
thanks in advance
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It depends on whether you are on a 20CN or 21CN (ADSL2+) connection.
On 21CN it should come back pretty quickly.
On 20CN it will depend on how big the change is. If it's huge (eg. normal sync >6Mb and you synced at <512Kb it will be quicker) than if it's a small change.
Run the BT speed test and check what it says for your downstream IP Profile. When that is back to normal check the current line speed shown here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate. If that doesn't match the IP profile within 12 hours contact Plusnet or post on here.
waynem
Grafter

Hi Jelv
thanks for the quick response
i think i,m on 21cn 
current speeds show higher than my profile , estimated was 4 mb  but running at 6 mb 
the thing is when i checked the other day it was up at 7 mb  also ping has increased but upload has stayed pretty constant .
and i,m wondering if its me who caused it by switching router on and off to many times in 24hrs
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That speed test result suggests you may be on 20CN (or you are on 21CN with your upload speed restricted).
When you run a BT speed test (link in my previous post) does it report downstream only or both upstream and downstream?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi waynem,
I've taken a look at your line and your IP profile isn't banded. 6MB/s is around the speeds your line is capable of on ADSL2+
It may be that during off peak times when it's not to busy that you have achieved higher speeds and lower during peak times.
Powering down the router without using the disconnect option(if you have one) can cause speed issues, but at present this is not affecting your line.
You can see what speeds your line is capable of <a href="http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome">here</a>.
Just to clarify also you are on ADSL2+

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Chris: Is his upstream capped?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The upstream is currently capped at 448kbps.
waynem
Grafter

Thanks chris an Jelv
just to pick up on a point rasied by chris ,  i have the pro add on which i understand means my speeds shouldnt drop at peak times , is this correct ? also when i look back at speedtests from a few days ago they were all over 6.5  and as high as 8 meg at one point ? .
as my upstream is capped , can it be un capped  and if so what effect will it have on my connection in general  ?
thanks in advance
waynem
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes Pro add-on is currently active on your account. So your speeds won't be restricted going through our traffic management system. Your ideal line speeds is 5MB/s, but can fluctuate either side of that and it seems you are achieving those speeds and slightly more, I'd suggest monitoring your speeds and see how they go.
We can certainly uncap the upstream, it will have a effect on the download but can't say exactly how much until it is uncapped, from past experience it is very rarely a significant amount. This can always be capped again if required.
Let me know what you would like to do.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Uncapping upstream is more likely to be detrimental on a poorer line as trying to run at a higher upstream speed can introduce more errors needing more retries thus decreasing overall throughput. Your line looks to be reasonable and so shouldn't be affected.
Although Pro means no restrictions imposed by Plusnet you could still suffer from contention on the exchange (due to high users of all ISPs, not just Plusnet). I'd suggest waiting until the Olympics are over and see if it still happens then.
waynem
Grafter

Hi Chris
my ideal line speed would be 80 / 20  Grin
but back in the real world , will monitor speeds as suggested and see how we go , also if U/L was uncapped would this help with gaming ? .
anyway for now will leave it capped for at least the next few days  and see how speeds etc go
thanks for your help and quick response
wayne m
@jelv ...thanks for the advice , thinking about  it , it did slow as the olympics started , with that in mind will leave it a couple of weeks
thanks again to both of you for your help and advice  Wink
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I like the ideal speed comment  Grin got me there!
Upload does effect gaming but only really if the upload speeds are very poor. Your upload speed should be fine for gaming.
Monitor it and if you want to try uncapping let me know and I'll get that done for you.
waynem
Grafter

Thanks Chris  Grin