cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop in connection/ speed

hereatlast
Hooked

Drop in connection/ speed

How do I get PlusNet to check my broadband?.. Through here?

I know there's a lot of demand on wifi due to the lockdown. I've noticed an effect on my own laptops in terms of losing connection or slow to download and respond generally and videos are buffering and very slow to start too. I've been very patient about it - despite a month's at-home shielding (because of asthma... and I actually work for the NHS) - and in actual fact I would take the problem back possibly still further:

I started to notice poorer connection and speeds when the house a few metres away changed hands - and probably, with that, their wifi. When I lose my connection, I'm often left with a Sky (secured) connection indicated and no PlusNet, and sometimes  then that drops still further to NO wifi signals, until PlusNet's re-emerges or I troubleshoot it.

There's only me using the wifi and for nothing technically draining. 

It would be great if a Plusnet technical support employee could, through some means, boost my wifi.

Thanking you ~  'hereatlast'

7 REPLIES 7
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Drop in connection/ speed

Hello @hereatlast,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your connection and for any inconvenience this is causing. I can see that there are some errors on the upstream indicating failing hardware so as the router is very old, I have arranged for a new one to be sent.

This will be with you within 3 to 5 working days, please let us know if the issue persists.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
hereatlast
Hooked

Many thanks for prompt look-see and action (I am impressed!) Let's hope that sorts it.

hereatlast
Hooked

New router 2 - 3 weeks in service now, but 'whoops, it did it again' - when I use my laptop in my bedroom just up from the router in the hallway - i.e. the wifi still drops, the connectivity troubleshooter says I'm out of range or not connected with any network. On many occasions the first or only network to show is a Sky one (my neighbour presumably)... as though it 'knocks mine out'. Sorry for the bother. My regards ~ 'Hereatlast'.

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @hereatlast

Sorry to hear that. I can suggest to try this guide to improve quality of your wireless network.

The Hub Zero configuration screen is accessed via 192.168.1.254 and does not need a password entering to view the home screen information.

To access the other areas of the router, such as the wireless settings, username & password details, you will need to enter the Router Password.  This can be found either on the reference card that was supplied with the router.  

The router password can also be found on the rear of the router:

The Basic Wi-Fi settings area allows you to switch wi-fi on/off, change the channel and update the SSID & password details. 

You can also get a free app for a smart phone, called "Wifi Analyzer". This will show you which channels are in use, and which are available.

Information about Interference

Your router broadcasts using high frequency (2.4Ghz) radio signals. Like all radio signals it's possible for them to pick up interference.

Microwave ovens, security cameras, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones and baby monitors are common causes of interference so if you can't place your router away from these, be aware that you may have temporary problems when using them.

I hope this helps.

hereatlast
Hooked

And auto-find for the wifi channels will find the best channel automatically, as the name suggests, won't it? - i.e. without this 'delving' after alternative channels (which I've tried and it makes no difference to my issue)?

hereatlast
Hooked

I'd like an answer to this last question, please, and to report that my signal is no better upstairs with the new router than with the old and my wi-fi drops away and leaves only the neighbours (secured) Sky one listed, as I reported originally. I think it needs looking into a little more at PlusNet's end as I've probably done all the tinkering that's set out.

hereatlast
Hooked

Nothing doing?Huh