cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop cable to Master Socket is too short - what do I do?

astarsolutions
Grafter

Re: Drop cable to Master Socket is too short - what do I do?

So its as I thought, tampering with their property.
Or if you are stupid enough to make a mistake a potential bill for damages to their equipment.
thehatman
Grafter

The best way to make it work is to connect the BT box to your high voltage cooker outlet via a bucket of salty water.
itsme
Grafter

Learnt something today, did not realise that the cooker worked on a differnt voltage to the rest of the house.
astarsolutions
Grafter

I think he was referring to the high current capacity of the cooker outlet and the high voltage statement simply referenced 230V rather than the low 50v on the telephone line.
If you were to rewire it, and inadvertantly hit  the cabling past the master socket with a 240v spike

How could you inadvertently do this!
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

[aside]
Quote from: itsme
Learnt something today, did not realise that the cooker worked on a differnt voltage to the rest of the house.

Not always widely known Smiley  Years ago someone gave me an old cooker and I had to get a long cable to attach it to the box on the wall (so I got it from the local Electricity Board shop, telling them what type of cable I needed).
I did the wiring whilst getting instructions (via the phone in my other hand) from a friend's husband who is an electrician.  Result: working cooker.
Some weeks later, the friend and her husband visited, so he could check the wiring was actually okay.  "Where did you get this cable from?" he asked.  I told him and he shook his head.  "You do know that's storage heater cable . . . . "
In the end the EB refunded the outlay but I didn't have enough money for the proper cable (£28 iirc).  Had to drop into my sons' school the next day - mid-morning - and ahead of me on the path was another parent - carrying a length of cooker cable.  You couldn't make it up Smiley
It turned out to be "spare" cable and the cooker got re-wired.  Have to say cooker wiring is not amongst my all-time-favourite activities! but like anything else you do it if you have to.  Though I believe you're even legally required to get in a professional for wiring cookers, these days ^^
Regards,
Penny.
[/end of aside]
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Though I believe you're even legally required to get in a professional for wiring cookers, these days ^^

Since the beginning of the year any significant wiring has to be approved/done/checked by a professional.
i.e. you can do it yourself but it will need to be checked before you can sell your house.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Penny

In the end the EB refunded the outlay but I didn't have enough money for the proper cable (£28 iirc).  Had to drop into my sons' school the next day - mid-morning - and ahead of me on the path was another parent - carrying a length of cooker cable.  You couldn't make it up Smiley

£28 for a couple of feet of 6mm cable, did not think copper was that expensive.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It's not quite as bad as that.
The electricians are trying to frighten every one so that they get the work even when it doesn't need to be notified.
The regulations can be downloaded from here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf
The relevant part of the new regulations states