cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreadful WiFi from Thompson router and iPad : (

BGG
Dabbler

Dreadful WiFi from Thompson router and iPad : (

Although i'm reasonably happy with my broadband from Plusnet via ethernet cable into my iMac, I find the WiFi from the Thompson TG585v7 is really bad.
I think in the last two years the longest my iPad seems to have worked is only a couple of weeks, even when I get a WiFi signal from Plusnet I can't download mail or web pages on the iPad.
I have reinstalled numerous times on the iPad, continually reset it etc etc but it just won't connect, I just keep getting an error 'Unable to connect' and now it's driving me mad.
Is it a really pooor router ? I imagine it isn't one of the best since it's free but at this rate I'll be smashing it off the wall and looking elsewhere for a router and probably even a provider.
Any thoughts ?Huh
11 REPLIES 11
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Dreadful WiFi from Thompson router and iPad : (

Hi BGG,
Sorry to hear you're having difficulty. Try setting the wireless encryption to WPA rather than WPA2 and see if that helps.
Jojo Smiley
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Do you get any problems when you are closer to the router?
WiFi signals in homes can be unrealable and signal strength can change by just moving a few feet. You might also have other wifi networks in close range to your property all using the same channel, try setting the gateway to a different channel.
Changing ISP would not make any difference but replacing your router might.
This http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199 might be of some help.
Dan.
BGG
Dabbler

Cheers for the advice folks , I'll certainly try the above.
My iPad doesn't even work when sitting next to the router, it used to but not anymore. My PS3 which is approx 10-12 feet from the router in the same room won't even keep it's connection, it's a nightmare.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi BGG,
As well as the suggestion Jojo made, you could always try and change the Wireless Channel on your router to see if this stabilise your Wireless Connection. Also it might be a good idea to change the 'Interface Type' within the router.
You can see how to do this by following this <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson_wireless.shtml">link</a>.
I would recommend you change the 'Interface Type' to 'G' and change your Channel Selection to: Manual, and then this will enable you to change the Wireless Channel, which I would try on channels, 1, 6 or 12.
I hope this helps you get things sorted out for you Smiley

BGG
Dabbler

BRILLIANT !!!!! that did the trick.
Thank you so much, I love forums me Wink
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi BGG,
Glad to hear that you got that sorted out. If there is anything else we can do to help, let us know Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI BGG,
which bit did the trick?
Jojo Smiley
Prit

Hi,
I'm having the same problem with my new ipad 3. I can't connect to my home network at all. i've tried changing all of the channels, interface type and encryption to WEP and still nothing. I took it to apple and it worked fine in the store. Any ideas?
Alasala

I'd recomment anyone having problems with Wi-Fi (and if you have a windows laptop) to install Inssider (free software). This will show all of the nearby wireless networks and the channels they are running on - so you can tell when your neighbours are knocking out your signal.
You then just pick a channel where there is not much interference and use that channel instead. Has worked for me every time I have had wi-fi problems with neighbours disrupting my signal. You tend to find most routers default to the same channel so everyone in your area is using the same wi-fi frequencies. By changing the channel you use on your router, you are using different frequencies from everyone else and get a much cleaner (and more stable) signal.
Unfortunately, there is nothing similar available for iPad that I can find, so this is only any use if you have another device that you can test the signals with.
Hope that helps,
Alasala
Prit

Thanks for the tip. I've tried about a million things from all the various apple forums and as a last resort tried setting the 'allow new devices' to auto allow rather than asking for registration. This has worked, or seems to be for now!!  Smiley
Thanks,
Prit
Anonymous
Not applicable

For Apple Mac, use iStumbler to see all local wi-fi networks, and channel numbers, so you can, if needed, change your router to an unused one.