Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek 2820n - problem remoting in if both host and destination use PlusNet

beskar
Grafter

Draytek 2820n - problem remoting in if both host and destination use PlusNet

All started with changing to new router.  Sounds weird - but here we are:
Previously  Draytek 2600, connected to SBS2003 Premium (w/ISA 2004) and could remote in from home no probs - use RWW and OWA on SBS
I have a static IP from Plusnet at home (so, x.y.z.(a number) as does the work server (so, x.y.z.(a different number) - i.e. the same IP apart from last wotsit.  Same subnet mask also, btw.

Situation now with newly purchased 2820n (on latest firmware) at work is:
From any PC connected to my home network (which connects to internet via Plusnet) :
- if I try to RWW to SBS, I get a delay in IE then 'IE cannot display the webpage'
- if I try to use OWA in SBS, ditto
- if I try to remote manage the router (http://a.b.c.d:8010 - have altered from port 80), ditto

In an effort to test/solve, have: changed my router at home (from Netgear to Billion)and have tried laptops with different AV systems - no joy.
HOWEVER.... if I slap a T-Mobi 3G dongle onto one of these laptops, and connect to internet that way ... everthing works fine:
RWW works fine immediately
OWA ditto
Remote mgmt of router ditto
***The one consistent factor here is Plusnet (or, rather, using static ips in same range) - is it at all possible that the 2820n has some weird issue with this IP situation at either end?? i.e. it is interpreting it as a 'threat' or 'not permitted' ?? ***
(BTW Just swapped back to the 2600 old router... and problem gone away.  So, definitely a 2820n + PlusNet/same IP set thing)

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
itsme
Grafter

Re: Draytek 2820n - problem remoting in if both host and destination use PlusNet

Loopback.
Your are the wrong side of the NAT to use the modem external IP address. You need to enable loopback on your modem/router if there is an option to do this. On some you can only do it via telnet.
beskar
Grafter

Re: Draytek 2820n - problem remoting in if both host and destination use PlusNet

?? confused by your answer.
Have you taken into account the fact that
a) I could remote in fine (to both the router management console AND to Small Business Server 2003 features for 3 years until I changed the Router
b) I can still remote in to both... provided I don't use Plusnet at my end
... if so, you might need to explain "Your are the wrong side of the NAT to use the modem external IP address" - as I have been using the router/modem external address for all that time (on the new Draytek I just entered the same settings as on the old, i.e. gave it the Plusnet IP address as my 2nd Routing IP).
'Loopback' - I'll have to look up the definittion of this, as I am unsure what it means in a router context.