Did you mean: 

Downstream Connection speed has been reduced from 3600 Kbps to 2400 Kbps

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Downstream Connection speed has been reduced from 3600 Kbps to 2400 Kbps

Quote from: DarT
One question I have, the sync is now back to normal, but download speed at present is around 480, and my ip profile is at 750, both still much lower than they used to be (cant remember what they were but expect ip was probably 1.5).  Am I right in assuming that these will be increased automatically by BT when I have had a period stable connection for 3 days ?

Looks like it's just been increased Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Bob,
After several reboots my router now reports;

ADSL Link                    Downstream        Upstream
Connection Speed      2752 kbps            448 kbps
Line Attenuation        55.0 db                28.0 db
Noise Margin              12.3 db                20.0 db
Can I expect an improvement in my downstream speed? 2500 kbps would be nice.
Before the 18th March I would always get 3000 kbps
Dan
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Dan
Can I expect an improvement in my downstream speed? 2500 kbps would be nice.

If you're frequently synchronised above 2500kbps then your downstream speed should increase with time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

James
Grafter

Hi Dan,
You'll need to sync at 2848Kbps or above to get a 2500Kbps profile.
I'd give it a couple of days to make sure the connection is stable and we can then request a further SNR drop.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

A quick report on the status here:
BT have reduce the Target Noise Margin to 12dB OK.
I also now have Max Premium, so getting faster upload speed OK.
Changed router from Netgear DG834Gv2 to Thomson SpeedTouch ST585v6.
This new router seems much more stable during the night, not suffering from continual drop in Noise Margin.
I had hoped to be able to 'tweak' the Target Noise Margin with DMT tool with the ST585, but the firmware I have (6.2) has disabled that Angry I could downgrade the firmware but that may give other problems, plus I can't find a Macintosh firmware uploader for the ST - I'm afraid the support by ST is poor compared to Netgear.
Only problem I have is that ST is that it is not as good as the previous Netgear in handling iChat AV. The Netgear worked great just by enabling UPnP, but the ST looks like it will need some manual port forwarding set up like a lot of other routers. Oddly I can get iChat to work with some buddies - they are running Netgears, but another guy who was never any trouble will no longer work.
I did also purchase a Netgear DG834N but have left that in the sealed box and will return it if I get the small niggles sorted with the ST585 in the next day or so.

gm4jjj
Rising Star

Further update:
Yesterday I tried in vein to get the ST585v6 to work properly with iChat - apparently there is a know problem with SIP and ALG in that router that screws up iChat. I have come to the conclusion that Thomson don't want us to fiddle with their router at all, no support for Macintosh firmware updates, crippled DMT etc. I won't waste any more time on this.
Eventually I got the Netgear DG834N out of the box, and it works perfectly with iChat. It does sync at a very slightly lower rate than the ST. I left it running overnight with the RouterStats program. It was flat at my target 12dB until 04:00 approx when it jumped to 15dB and a lower sync, though no loss of sync in the router log. It appears that BT have decided to put target Noise Margin up to 15dB again.  Sad
However the good news is that DMT tool works with the DG834N and I have been able to lower the Target Noise Margin to 9dB and have 3328 sync. Seems very stable at that too. Of course all the restarts have caused the profile to drop to 2000 again, but hopefully back up to 2500 in the next 3 days.
I had to upgrade the firmware for the Netgear DG834N to the latest v1.02.08 (was 1.01.06) to get some wireless problems fixed. There still appears to be a bug with WPA mixed security mode and 802.11b devices, but by switching to 11b/11g mode I can get going. Though only at 11g rates rather than 11n.
James
Grafter

Sounds like you're nearing a resolution, which is good to hear.
Pretty dissapointing about the ST though 😕
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Yes James, it is looking much better.
The other thing I had to do was lower the shelf in my comms cupboard because the Netgear has to stand vertically for proper cooling. The filtered power strip also needed lowering because the new PSU was taller. It's never easy.  Roll_eyes
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Dan,
You'll need to sync at 2848Kbps or above to get a 2500Kbps profile.
I'd give it a couple of days to make sure the connection is stable and we can then request a further SNR drop.

My connection has been stable for more than two days, I have requested the next SNR change via the open fault call for this issue
Dan.